Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decreasing Speed.

Nighto
Dabbler

Decreasing Speed.

Hello PlusNet Team
I'm sorry to have to bother you again, but over the last few days my download speed has been decreasing (see below).  I have only been with PlusNet a few weeks now and since arouns Sunday 22May  2011 I have a consisten speed of 1880Kbps.  A BT engineer came on the 24 May 2011 to test my line.  He replaced a connection outside the house.  All has been well.
The connection to the router is through a filter directly inserted to the test socket.  I have tried speed tests with my printer on and off, no difference.  Everything else is working ok.  I have reset the router, no difference.  I reset the Thomson Gateway yesterday.  I have included the information below from the 192.168.1.254 address (hope this helps).  I am wondering what may be the cause.  So, team, I am looking for your help again.  Here is current PlusNet conncetion info:
Cheers.
Postcode:
S81 0QX
Phone exchange:
WORKSOP
Estimated line speed:
2.5Mb (This may vary between 1.5Mb and 5Mb) - Checked on 2011-04-19 06:47:51
Current line speed:
2 Mb

Nighto  Wink
BT Broadband test: Down 250Kbps Up 448Kbps

Date                                              Download Speed                  Upload Speed
Today 15:04                                  247 kbps (30.9kB/s)              333 kbps (41.6kB/s)
Today 11:01                              1882 kbps (235kB/s)                288 kbps (36kB/s)
Today 09:12                              1181 kbps (148kB/s)                343 kbps (42.9kB/s)
Yesterday 17:04                        1287 kbps (161kB/s)                  344 kbps (43kB/s)
Yesterday 16:50                        1273 kbps (159kB/s)                  380 kbps (47.5kB/s)
Thursday 18:47                        1415 kbps (177kB/s)                375 kbps (46.9kB/s)
Thursday 16:22                        1458 kbps (182kB/s)                341 kbps (42.6kB/s)
Tuesday 15:49                          1882 kbps (235kB/s)                381 kbps (47.6kB/s)
Monday 16:37                            1885 kbps (236kB/s)                382 kbps (47.8kB/s)
Uptime: 0 days, 2:55:09

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A

Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 15,996 / 1,692

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 288

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2.34 / 7.27

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 14.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 37.0 / 63.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.0 / 22.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 64 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 63 / 91

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 310 / 8

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 17 / NA
22 REPLIES 22
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Decreasing Speed.

Hi Nighto,
I see you've raised a fault. Look at the graph below, have any of the disconnections been you rebooting the router. Even if not, then I suspect that those drops have caused the profile, adn then the speed to be dropped.
Jojo Smiley
Nighto
Dabbler

Hello Jo
Thanks for your reply.
I can definitely tell you that not all of those times are when I have rebooted.  To be honest, I can't say how many times but it is certainly not more than three.  The problem is very low speed and not particularly connection problems as it seems to be connect practically al the time.
I have raised a fault and am waiting for a response.
I did a BT test and it showed my IP Profile as 250Kbps.
What I would like to know is why some one altered it as I had a stable connection and a consistent download speed of 1880Kbps.
I hope this helps, Jo.
Once again, thanks.
Nighto
SpencerUk
Grafter

Hi Nighto
I tried to call you today in relation to this fault but you was at work so I left a message with a member of the family.
Long story short, can you please connect your router to the BT test socket of the premises as you appear to be connecting at a very low rate to your local exchange and our suppliers systems indicates your line should be connecting at a higher rate. Thanks
Nighto
Dabbler

Hello Spencer
Thank you for your help.  I always have the router connected to the test socket.
My speed has gone up today to around 1640Kbps.
I will keep monitoring the speed.  Is there anything else I can do to help?
Thanks once again.
Have a really great day, Spencer!  Smiley
Regards
Nighto
SpencerUk
Grafter

Hi Nighto
Following on from our conversation this evening, it would appear that there is some issue on your line as our supplier systems shows your line length is about 3.2 miles and yet your attenuation would indicate your line is longer than this. It may well be a routing issue and this is why I have booked an engineer with yourself to check this out. Fingers crossed the engineer can get your access speeds up.
Nighto
Dabbler

Once again, Spencer, Jo, OldJim, et al, many thanks to you all. 
I sincerely hope I'm not causing you too much bother.  I truly appreciate all you are trying to do for me.  I'd like to buy you all a drink some time.
3.2 miles fom the exchange does seem excessive when I am about 1 mile away as the crow flies.  It seems now that BT have to come up with the goods for which we pay.  We know there's nothing wrong at your end of line (pardon the pun) nor at mine.
Have a really great day!
Kindest regards
Nighto  Smiley
Nighto
Dabbler

Hi Team
The BT engineer came today.  I wasn't in but my wife and daughter were.
Anyway, what he said was that he could not find a fault with the line but that does not mean there isn't one, just that he hasn't found one.
The engineer replaced the connection socket and filter plate.  So at the moment the router cable is not connected to the test socket.
The engineer then checked the router cable, which came new with the router when I signed up to PlusNet six weeks ago.  He said it was not very good and changed it.  May I add that I am a little suspicious here because if the engineer claims it was a consumer fault then either PlusNet or I could be billed for the engineer's visit, which I think would be a gross injustice.
The engineer then said he was going to check cabinet on street some distance away but he had no need to come back.  So we don't know what he did if he did anything at all.
He said give it ten days to settle down.  The engineer said it would go up and down during this time.
The engineer added, that if I still get problems contact my ISP.  However, this is what the engineer said last time (about 4 weeks ago).
He left his name just in case we had another engineer come out in future so that he could be contacted to say what he had done this time.  The engineer did not leave a number but his name is Mick Smith and he is from Lincoln.
I am quite happy that PlusNet have done all it can to help me and I am truly grateful to the PlusNet team.  Wink  However, I have a despondency that we are not going to get to the bottom of this with BT.  I guess I'll just have to put up with it.  Sad
So, thanks again team if I'm in Sheffield at any time I'll drop a crate of beer in for you.  Wink
I'll put thismessage on the forum too.  I hope it doesn't cause any confusion.
Kindest regards
Nighto  Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Nighto,
if the engineer has advised of a 10 day period then maybe he has had the SNR reset, this would instigate a 10 day training period. Remind me tomorrow to check how it's going and I'll see where we can take it from there.
Jojo Smiley
Nighto
Dabbler

Thanks JoJo
I feel awful putting to all this trouble, really I do.
Anyway, I'll drop a note tomorrow as requested.
Have a great evening.
Nighto
SpencerUk
Grafter

Hi Nighto,
I had a quick look into this on my break.
We have not had the engineering notes back from Openreach as of yet so we can't really do an awful lot. The notes usually appear about 24 hours after the Openreach engineer job so don't worry. First glance though it does look like your access speed has improved a little bit :). The SNR reset wasn't really needed from the engineer as your line was performing fine to the target SNR.
As Joanne says, lets see how the next couple of days ago. The line connection may improve. Really is impossible to tell but I do have a sneaky feeling that we will need another engineer visit to do some experimenting with your line.
I'll place an internal comment onto your faults ticket as well so whoever picks it up next just to check some things out Smiley
P.S...If you can deliver some Tequila to Plusnet Towers, wouldn't go a miss Wink
Nighto
Dabbler

I think (hope) the issue has now been 'resolved'.  As I mentioned on the help Line, I think PlusNet have been brilliant and done all they can.  Over the last three or four days my speeds are hovering around 1600Kbps, not supersonic, but not snail pace either.  Let's hope it can remain stable.  Any idea e)when fibreoptic will be in my manor?
As for the Tequila, I have got some of the real stuff from when I went to Mexico, also I have a couple of bottles of Mezcal, you know, the stuff with the worm in the bottle.  I think this is better than tequila.  Smiley
You lot are brilliant, I can't thank you enough.  I am very happy that I joined PlusNet and have recommended you to some of my friends, two of which, I believe, have or will be moving over to you.
If ever you're around my way pop in for a couple of shots (I'm serious if you want my address I will emial it to you).
Have  a great day!
Nighto
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks Nighto,
No need to email your address, we have all your details don't forget Smiley
Nighto
Dabbler

Sorry, JoJo (or other member of the team), but I need your help again.  I have posted the following on the help assistant too.  I think that the ticket may still be open.  The issue is now becoming a real nuisance.  Please would you be so kind to check all the information regarding my issue then you will see what has and has not been done.  By the way, I used to be with TalkTalk  >:(.  Is PlusNet using its own connections at the exchange or are you connected to TalkTalk's?  If so, there may be an issue with the connection.
I hope this helps.  Have great, cooler day!!!   Nighto

This morning (06.40) my speed went down to 145Kbps  :'(.  It has, if you look at the above data been decreasing over the past couple of weeks.  Connection is NOT a problem (well up to now).

BT have now been twice and reported no line faults.

Outside junction box has been changed.

BT internal socket has been changed with new face plate.

Router cable has been changed by BT.

All my equipment is sound.

Printer switched off.

No other interference.

Have not switched router off since BT last came on 25/May/11.

I, would, if possible like to know what is happening.  IT seems to run fine for a couple of weeks and then it drops dramatically.  I don't think it is PlusNet's fault; it certainly isn't mine.  SO what can it be?

I have to go to work now and will not be home until after 16.00.  I will check for responses from my work computer.

At the moment the connection is through the BT test Socket.

Please, please don't send any more engineers.  I think the problem arises in the exchange itself.

I will post this message on the forum too.

Have a nice day.  Smiley

Nighto
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Nighto,
Were you in the test socket when the profile dropped or have you only put it back in there since?
Jojo Smiley