cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead in the water connection ... the third time in as many months!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Dead in the water connection ... the third time in as many months!

Yes, we do ask in any instance like this that alternate routers are used as it's important to rule that out, I'd see no point in asking you to do that again.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
hodmandod
Grafter

Okay, cheers. Let's hope the line stays stable from now.
hodmandod
Grafter

After a week of good speeds, yesterday it went wrong again. Not as wrong as before, but noticeably slow.
I notice my IPProfile is well below the DSL rate - why would that be?
BT test:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 436 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1792 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps
Router stats:
ADSL Line Type GDMT
ADSL Line CodingADSL Line Coding INTERLEAVED
Line Attenuation (Down):56  (Up):31
Noise Margin (Down):6  (Up):21
Total Output Power (Down):0  (Up):0
Current State DownStr: 1792(K)  UpStr: 448(K)
undefined UP
FEC(FAST) (Near):0  (Far):0
FEC(INTERL) (Near):884  (Far):189127
CRC(FAST) (Near):0  (Far):0
undefined (Near):6  (Far):167
HEC(FAST) (Near):0  (Far):0
Showtime last(sec) 45396
ADSL FW Version 0.52
ADSL Board Type Annex A
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm noticing a fair amount of disconnections again which has caused the IP profile to drop, anything changed at your end?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
hodmandod
Grafter

Nothing has changed here. There's a filter in the Master socket, and the router runs directly out of that.  Apart from a twenty minute disconnect yesterday when someone used the router socket for something else, it's been on continuously.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks, I've opened a new fault ticket for you (46832842) and I'll be raising a new fault with our suppliers shortly.
I'll keep you updated whilst we look into this.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
hodmandod
Grafter

An engineer visited this morning - actually, two engineers - and after testing my internal wiring, they ventured outside and after an hour or so came back to say the four cables between the top and bottom of the telegraph pole that feeds around fifty properties including ours were more or less shot, and that this was almost certainly the cause of my speed problems.over the years. They promised no immediate improvement but said they would file a report and 'someone' would return within 'a couple of weeks' to either upgrade the cables or possibly replace the pole itself.
It's refreshing to know the problem isn't inside our property. In fact, if I had bothered to ask around the immediate neighbourhood, I could have confirmed as much. While the engineers were at work they said one of our neighbours had appeared and admitted changing internet providers several times as their speed had always been so bad.
Anyway, thank you, Adam, for arranging the engineers visit; and let's hope the new cables and/or pole aren't too long in coming, and that when they materialise my connection stays stable.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

one of our neighbours had appeared and admitted changing internet providers several times as their speed had always been so bad

how many time on this forum do you see "i'm going to leave PN" because of the speed and connection when the new ISP will have to use the same exchange equipment and copper  Crazy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
hodmandod
Grafter

Quote from: PeterLoftus
the new ISP will have to use the same exchange equipment and copper  Crazy

I don't think many people realise this. I certanily didn't when I left Virgin for Plusnet; nor, more recently, when I was considering leaving Plusnet for TalkTalk. I'm still not 100% clear about it, as I believe TalkTalk and maybe others have installed their own equipment at our exchange. The wires are the same, though, and they're what's at fault, it seems..
penguin

Quote from: PeterLoftus
how many time on this forum do you see "i'm going to leave PN" because of the speed and connection when the new ISP will have to use the same exchange equipment and copper  Crazy

I know this isn't quite what this topic is about, but...
I was getting awfully slow broadband (significantly below what the line was capable of) and the ISP I was with sent an engineer out who said the line was fine, but the ISP didn't try anything else (even to say "try the test point")- they basically gave up on it. I eventually got it sorted out with help from the people on the Kitz forum.
Hence one of the reasons I moved to PN was because I thought that their CS and technical support teams were much better than that of the old ISP, so were I to encounter any problems (which I know would happen with any ISP, since it is the same copper), I felt that they would be the best people to deal with it.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

was because I thought that their CS and technical support teams were much better than that of the old ISP

That's generally my point, other posters on this forum could explain it better but in the majority of cases ISPs are offering the same technology and the same wires and what differentiates PS is the service teams and the way they "talk" to customers in a human way rather than feeding them though websites and fobbing them off through ill trained agents.
TalkTalk and maybe others have installed their own equipment at our exchange

Very true but is not equal distributed. A post code lottery! Also the other technologies usually are offering other advantages such as speed and you will be paying a premium for that. I think you always need to read the small print and consider what happens when the introductory offer ends
Roll_eyes

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
hodmandod
Grafter

Hello Adam,
(I hope you get to read this!)
After talking to you a couple of days ago and agreeing it was time to close my fault ticket as I had had stable speeds for a while and apparently no drops in connection over the past five days ... lo and behold, we're back to a familiar story. Not dead in the water but sinking nevertheless.
Although it's not as slow as before, as you can see, my IP Profile is less than a quarter of my DSL Connection Rate.
Any ideas? Nothing has changed inside our property since the recent engineer visit where they laid the blame on faulty cable in the nearby telegraph pole.
BT speedtest at 1430 today
Download speedachieved during the test was - 459 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2016 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps
Router stats
ADSL Line Type GDMT
ADSL Line CodingADSL Line Coding INTERLEAVED
Line Attenuation (Down):58  (Up):31
Noise Margin (Down):9  (Up):21
Total Output Power (Down):0  (Up):0
Current State DownStr: 2016(K)  UpStr: 448(K)
undefined UP
FEC(FAST) (Near):0  (Far):0
FEC(INTERL) (Near):2992  (Far):12516
CRC(FAST) (Near):0  (Far):0
undefined (Near):20  (Far):36
HEC(FAST) (Near):1360  (Far):0
Showtime last(sec) 47600
ADSL FW Version 0.52
ADSL Board Type Annex A
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there, bit of an odd one this... A line tests shows me the 2016kbps synch speed, however the account on our side of things was limited to 500kbps. I've udpated this to reflect the 1750kbps IP profile.
With regards to disconnections I can only see one in 8 days which occurred at 13:00 today.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
hodmandod
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
the account on our side of things was limited to 500kbps

I'm not sure I understand this. Who or what caused the limit? Presumably, it wasn't there a few days ago, when my speeds were okay. Did someone at Plusnet flick a switch or was it a recurrence of the line problem?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It could have been picked up from what we call a low sync event, it's not foul play so don't worry about that. I also think it's an isolated problem as the connection is otherwise performing well at the moment.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team