Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data extension question

dannystokie
Grafter

Data extension question

Hi
With the data extension kit is the cable extended so you have your modem and router where you want it or just the router?
Thanks
22 REPLIES 22
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Data extension question

Both modem and router.  The Data extension is placing a data socket at your selected location with a RJ11 input on the socket.  The socket is hardwired to the master socket.
You cannot place a phone line cable to connect sky boxes, telephones, faxes etc... to the data extension socket.
You can leave a modem at master socket if you wanted to and run a RJ45 cable to the router from modem. (Ethernet cable up to 100Metres)
Hope this helps!
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
dannystokie
Grafter

That's what I thought but wasn't 100 %
The master is down stairs so I'm going to ask them to put everything upstairs in my room but I've got to buy a bigger power strip first.
Thanks
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

You'll find some decent power extension cords at Ikea and B&Q.
Most under £20 depends on how many sockets you need!
Just a heads up!  Wink
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Also you'll probably wanting the highest speed possible on your fibre network?
If yes,  Make sure you get a Belkin twisted modem cable (RJ11 ends) can be found here  (make sure its not a BT plug as others can trick. I used this seller) and any brand Cat6E cable like this one for modem to router for highest performance! It actually makes your speed faster!
Hope this helps.
Jamie
dannystokie
Grafter

Are these cables alot better than the standard ones supplied then?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

100x better than supplied cables. The modem cable ( wall to white bt modem) is flat and that's bad! Twisted cable makes the speed quicker and more reliable!
dannystokie
Grafter

Will openreach engineer use these if I buy or them? Not going to moan are they?
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

No, you can use any RJ11 cable, but I'm not convinced it will make much difference over a short distance - if you're having the data extension kit I assume the modem will be located right at the end of it with a very short cable of 1m or so to connect it.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: dannystokie
Will openreach engineer use these if I buy or them? Not going to moan are they?

Yes, if you ask him to use the current cable. ( the ones if you have ordered.  Also KevinG it made a improvement by 3mbits.  As it won't be a flat cable. (untwisted)
Jamie
dannystokie
Grafter

apjashley1
Grafter

I got a 20cm one, the shorter the better really - this site does some really good ADSL kit (will work for fibre also)
http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/high-speed-rj11-dsl-cable-0-5m.html
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: dannystokie
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Speed-Internet-Modem-Cable/dp/B003D1L4IK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365111349&sr=1-3&keywords=belkin+high+speed+modem+cable
that's correct isnt it?

Yep that is correct!
I wouldn't go for an unbranded RJ11 cable as that probably won't have a good quality. Also its only 50 CM which isn't long enough for me.
Cat6e cables don't really matter as they carry high speeds anyway (branded or not)
But RJ11 cables should be definitely made sure they are high quality as they are the main speed carrier.
Jamie
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Keep us posted as to how you get on with this please @dannystokie
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
njay
Grafter

Ordered fibre yesterday with data extension cable but interested in the best approach.
Currently ADSL2+ getting 3.4Mbits on an estimated 2Mbit Line so I can only assume the estimate is low or my line (over 3miles to the exchnage as the crow flies) + internal wiring is up to the job Smiley
Master socket is in the hallway,
10m extension cable (hardwired into back of openreach branded faceplate) which runs under carpet down the hall, under the kitchen door bar, along a wall below skirting board (so not visible), through a parition wall and terminates (hardwired) at an extension socket in the office on the other side of the partition wall.
Plusnet supplied Microfilter (well it works why change it :)) with 2m RJ11 cable to TP-Link 8960n ADSL2+ router and phone splitter for the skybox and phone itself
Now, going fibre is the data extension cable the best option and if so is the BT engineer likely to fit it given the route to the current extension socket as that is more or less (less being the VDSL socket could do with going over by 2m to just below where the current ADSL2 router sits)
I assume the existing wiring has to also remain seeing as the phone and skybox comes off that too. Even though I can move the phone to the lounge where there is another hardwired extension plus socket serving a 2nd skybox I have to keep both skyboxes plugged in as we have multiroom Sad
Any advice would be appreciated
Hmm maybe I should maybe put this in a separate thread as its far longer than I expected  Shocked