cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Extension Cable

macowens
Grafter

Data Extension Cable

My BT master socket is quite inaccessible and is a long way from my existing router, I use a 10m RJ11 cable to 'extend' the broadband from the master socket to the router, can I use that RJ11 extension when I get fibre installed?
5 REPLIES 5
reddev87
Grafter

Re: Data Extension Cable

Don't worry, when the BT engineer turns up, he will run an extension of up to 30m from your master socket to where your modem and router will be.
Just make sure you let PN know that you require the 'Data extension kit' on your order. There's no extra charge.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yes, the connection is still RJ11 on the fibre modems, I'd always advise using the best quality cable you possibly can to do that. 
As reddev87 rightly says, you can have the data socket repositioned as part of the installation.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
macowens
Grafter

I did select the 'Require Extension cable' option but it is not a straightforward route from the master socket to the router and as I have an RJ11 cable already in place, he could use that. I don't know how to judge the quality but I use this cable at present and I get just under 12Mb on an ADSL2+ line so I think it is 'good'.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK,
I'd give it a try perhaps with the existing cable and see how things go from there.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you have any problems with your connection the engineer would probably point at the non-standard extension cable. I think you'd be well advised to have it replaced with the official cable.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)