cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damsel in distress ...

moemoff
Grafter

Damsel in distress ...

I am suffering a bit of brain fade here.
I had trubbles on me line and as a result me sync went do dahs. It was a BT problem  .. disconnections and eventually a very noisey line on the voice phone. Fingers crossed now fixed (BTW thank you nice folks at Plusnet / F9).
I am getting speeds now of 6700 to 6800 now (used to be just over 7000 on a good day but 6900 usually  - so cannot complain now its working again).
When I look at
"Your High-speed Broadband Service"  It says your current broadband speed is 8000 Kbps .. I cant remember if originally it said 8128kbps.
The daft question is .. does it normally show the full sync speed or something below.  If it does show a higher speed normally .. can some kind folk a PN/F9 give it a final kick.
5 REPLIES 5
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Re: Damsel in distress ...

Hiya,
If you're seeing your speed reported by F9 as 8000 then that's the maximum speed that would be reported by them. If you were to perform a BT speedtest then it should report your IP profile as being 7150 (Which is basically 8000kbps minus the overheads)
So, personally speaking, nothing to worry about, all is in order - one hopes!
HTH
Roger.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Not necessarily Peter.
I sync with the exchange on a steady 8128 - Portal shows 8000
My IP profile is 7150 when performing a speed test and regularly achieve 6.5-7kbps so even though there is a small variance in the speed, the profiling is correct.
You do have to take into account the time of day and exchange contention as well as loading on the speed test servers which all affect the final outcome one way or another.
So, in the case of the OP, there is nothing to worry about.
If they were profiled at 5500kbps they would achieve speeds from 6240kbps
For anyone who is interested this link will explain IP profiling in a little more detail.
Roger.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: rogerloxton
If they were profiled at 5500kbps they would achieve speeds from 6240kbps
Slight correction Roger - a profile of 5500 kbps is achieved with a synch speed of 6240 kbps to 6816 kbps. This will give a speed test result of just under 5500 kbps depending on traffic congestion.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Thanks Jim!
Always willing to be corrected you know Cheesy
I must have misread the page that I linked to!!
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

They could be on LLU which has a fixed 8000 setting under high speed broadband. See http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway to find out.