Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dailymotion not working on plusnet

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Dailymotion not working on plusnet

If you're still having problems could you do a Wireshark and pop it on a ticket? Dave's ready to take a look and see if we can spot anything.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Out of curiosity, apart from Differential Services field, what would Dave be looking for?
Did you discover why some of you in the office were having problems?
I wonder if MTU is an issue here, although JIm said he hadn't got a problem and I think his MTU is 1500?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I think he'll be looking for the IP it's trying to connect to aswell.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks, see my edit. I ran Wireshark yesterday, but as I hadn't had any problems and couldn't see anything odd, I didn't save it. I'll try and do it again later. It may be of some use as a successful example - assuming it is then  Huh
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Couple of theories:
1) Daily motion are having problems so you don't always get the stream.  You don't see this on mobile providers because they often have video caches in their network which handle device rescaling.  This means that once the video is served once, it is cached so you don't see the issue.
2) We have a problem with our peering or transit networks.  When a video is served direct from Dailymotion, it works, but when the video is being streamed from a CDN, we run into problems.
Some wiresharks will help the latter as we'll be able to see where the browser is connecting to for the video source.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Anotherone
Champion

OK, will definitely do one later for you.
aless02

Tracing route to dailymotion.com [195.8.215.136]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
 1    58 ms    81 ms    17 ms  dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
 2     *       33 ms    32 ms  lo0-central10.pcl-ag05.plus.net [195.166.128.186
]
 3    34 ms    90 ms    58 ms  link7-central10.pcl-gw01.plus.net [84.93.249.140
]
 4    88 ms    78 ms    32 ms  xe-8-2-0.pcl-cr01.plus.net [212.159.1.8]
 5    31 ms    34 ms    33 ms  ae2.pcl-cr02.plus.net [195.166.129.7]
 6    31 ms    31 ms    31 ms  ae1.ptw-cr02.plus.net [195.166.129.2]
 7    78 ms    40 ms    39 ms  lonap-gw1.dailymotion.com [5.57.80.231]
 8   107 ms    94 ms    43 ms  v207.dist.vty.dailymotion.com [195.8.214.206]
 9    42 ms    41 ms    41 ms  www.dailymotion.com [195.8.215.136]
Trace complete.

Here you go.  After reading the last couple pages, I turned on my VPN and it magically worked!! Thanks for the tip, but obviously it's still something for Plusnet to look into.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Just read through this thread so I'm a tad late to the party.
I've been messing around on dailymotion.com for the past ten minutes or so and been able to stream videos/navigate the site without problem (pcl-ag02). This obviously contradicts the observations from others in this thread and suggests that this problem might not be affecting all of our customers (assuming of course that it is an issue with our network).
Quote from: ejs
Plusnet's DNS servers (the ones we all love to hate, 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10) appear to be occasionally answering with SERVFAIL to queries for dailymotion.com. But then Plusnet's DNS servers might just do that occasionally for any domain.

No they shouldn't do but that's an interesting observation. I'm able to replicate the issue simply by running a handful of nslookups against the domain:
>nslookup dailymotion.com 212.159.6.10
Server:  cdns02.plus.net
Address:  212.159.6.10
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    dailymotion.com
Addresses:  195.8.215.136

>nslookup dailymotion.com 212.159.6.10
Server:  cdns02.plus.net
Address:  212.159.6.10
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** cdns02.plus.net can't find dailymotion.com: Server failed

Bear in mind that I don't seem to be having any problems with the site.
Quote from: jelv
If the dailymotion.com name servers are failing to respond sometimes couldn't that affect lookups via Google as well?

You'd have thought so but it certainly doesn't seem to be the case Undecided
Quote from: Anotherone
Out of curiosity, apart from Differential Services field, what would Dave be looking for?

0x80 I'd imagine. That's what it shows as from my connection. Unfortunately my Wiresharks aren't much use as I'm not experiencing problems.
One other thing I reckon it's worth people noting is what IP address they're assigned? Looking at the forum logs I don't think there's any correlation but it won't do any harm to post the first couple of octets from your IP as well if you're having problems. Mine is 80.229..x.x
Ideally we need a Wireshark from somebody who's experiencing the problem. We'll look into the DNS thing but I suspect it may be a red herring if people using Google's DNS are still experiencing problems.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Bob
Ideally we need a Wireshark from somebody who's experiencing the problem. We'll look into the DNS thing but I suspect it may be a red herring if people using Google's DNS are still experiencing problems.

Just had a thought. I have Google's DNS set as my secondary. Just changed so I'm using only Plusnet's DNS servers and almost immediately I'm able to replicate the problem. It's still hit and miss but I'm guessing the more popular videos are likely to be cached already by our servers.
You can see the DNS server failures in a Wireshark capture.
I shall get an internal problem raised and ask for somebody to do a bit more digging...
Edit: Problem 75196 raised, I'll report back once somebody's had the opportunity to take a look.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

between1and16ch
Grafter

Thnaks Bob!
Interesting - but would DNS lookups account for buffering midway through playing the video, or is that a different issue?
I'll mess about with my DNS config to see if I can confirm from this end and report back.
Oh, and my IP addy is 212.159.xxx.xxx
between1and16ch
Grafter

Ok, I can confirm - putting 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as my dns entries and the whole problem goes away.
I wonder if the stream is being delivered in segments as that would explain why it appears to buffer midstream.
Thanks again!
Edit; so as a stopgap solution, for my Plusnet Technicolor TG582n router I have telnetted in and issued the following;
:dns client dnsadd addr=8.8.8.8
:dns client dnsadd addr=8.8.4.4 
which has solved the problem, (and I now notice I have nippier web page loads in general).
Anotherone
Champion

Just a reminder on Windows machines you can change/add alternative DNS in TCP/IP properties.
@Bob
Could you please give us an example of the failed DNS lookups in Wireshark, that would be extremely helpful.
Gc5410

I too have been unable to watch any dailymotion videos for almost 3 weeks now. I would love to be able to fix this, but i'm afraid I don't really understand some of the "techno-speak" on here. I tried the plusnet help assistant and over the last few days have had continued responses, starting off with irrelevant scripted responses which sugges they weren't reading my messages properly and then saying the problem is with dailymotion and nothing to do with plusnet, so they have refused to help me! I don't seem to be able to get them to help, so hope this forum can help instead (or change their minds to try and help and not just dismiss the problem as not being theirs).
The latest of many replies from them gave me this link:
http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/dailymotion.com.html
And claimed this:
"I have looked into this for you and it looks like the problem is Dailymotion looking at "Isitdown" checker it looks like alot of people are having issues with Dailymotion at the moment.
The comments suggest the issue is intermittent is sometimes is affecting them and other times are not, from a quick check these names don't seem to be on our database so suggest they are with other companies.
According to their website information, their website technical support is clientele@mailclub.fr.
Sadly as this is not a problem with ourselves (I have also checked with my Plusnet connection and this works fine) so you will need to get in touch with them directly."

I have never had a problem with plusnet or dailymotion before, everything has always loaded instantly. My iphone, ipad and computer all have the dailymotion problem on plusnet only. I have no problem using them on a friend's non-plusnet connection or on my phone's 3G. I have tried several times a day, most days for over 2 weeks and have not found it to be intermittant or a problem with dailymotion as suggested by the help assistant.

Sorry to write such a negative post (as not anyone here's fault), but just frustrated by my continual problems communicating with plusnet. I hope someone here can help as I would really appreciate it and I'm sorry if I haven't/don't understand some of the more technical information written.
Thanks 🙂
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

I think the issues is on PN side,accessing dailymotion via VPN works fine.
As a workaround people could try accessing the website via VPN.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Here's a picture of a dns server failure packet in wireshark, but not in the context of watching dailymotion videos, just from repeating dns queries with the dig command.
I was not expecting the dns issue to be the cause of the problem with the dailymotion website, because there's only a small probability that one of the dns servers returns a failure message, so the probability of both dns servers giving failure messages would be very small. But that may depend on how the dns proxy server in the router deals with the "server failure" response.