cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily disconnects. DSL Link up, PPP down

leahk
Grafter

Daily disconnects. DSL Link up, PPP down

Everyday at around 07:30 GMT I get disconnected.  Usually it reconnects straight away and as I am not using the connection at that hour, I don't generally notice.  Because of this I can't say exactly when it started, but I'm pretty sure it was just after I switched to the ADSL2+ trail about 4 months ago.
The impact is low so I can live with it  however on three occasions the outage has lasted for 24 hours not just a minute - the most recent outage being last week.  And it is 24 hours, e,g. disconnect 07:30 day 1, can't reconnect and then suddenly reconnects 07:30 on day two.
I have tried all the usual:
Router is plugged directly into the master socket - nothing else plugged in and no other sockets.
Rebooted router.
Switched router off for an hour or so
Tried a different router
The symptoms are always the same
The router DSL light is on, steady and green
The router Internet light is off.
Looking at the connection status ; the DSL link always seems fine:
xDSL linestate up (downstream: 11485 kbit/s, upstream: 855 kbit/s; output Power Down: 22.5 dBm, Up: 12.5 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 25.0 dB, Up: 11.5 dB; snr Margin Down: 9.5 dB, Up: 5.0 dB)
But the PPP connect shows as disconnected:
If I press the connect button I just get the message "User Disconnected: Disconnected by User"
I have tried logging in with the BT Test User account and I get the same error.
I have raised a case with PN twice in the last 3 months and still have the latest one open, but it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere.  PN raised a fault with BT last week and a few hours after the connection had come back at 7:30,  PN said that BT had identified and fixed a fault at my exchange.
However I still see the daily disconnects.
Has anyone else experienced a similar issue or have any clues about what is going on.
Also interestingly  BT do not seem to consider ADSL2+ a trial.  On the very day that I lost all connectivity they posted a personalised leaflet though my door saying that:
We see that you currently only connect at 6000 kbits/s.  We have rolled out ADSL2+ at your exchange and if  you switch to BT Broadband we can up your speed to 8000 kbs/s.

Aside from this problem my experience with ADSL2+ has been very good: I have regularly achieved very good speeds as high as 9367 kbps (1.17MB/s) down and 710 kbps (88.8kB/s) up.
1 REPLY 1
James
Grafter

Re: Daily disconnects. DSL Link up, PPP down

Hiya,
I've just passed your fault through to the 21cn team.
I'm pretty confident that there's nothing else that you can try at your end, so we'll get your fault passed back to BT and hopefully they can spot something that is causing your connection drops.