Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily disconnections.

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Daily disconnections.

My phone line and internet was connected to my new house in mid December. Initially a good sync speed resulted in almost 15 Mb/s download. However after about a week I started getting disconnections. At least once a day, often around dusk I lose access to the Internet. Sometimes after a few minutes it will be OK but often I have to reboot the router. I was using my original and rather old Plusnet supplied router but I am now using a brand new BT Home Hub 4 but although it works very well I still have the same problem with disconnections. There is no noise on the line when I do the quiet line test. It seems to me that the target SNR margin (3db) is too low. Can this be tweaked up a bit, say to 6db?
56 REPLIES 56
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Daily disconnections.

your best bet  is to report a fault vai the PN faults broadnband troubleshooter here http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/index.shtml?supporta=connectionproblemsThat way your line will be tested by PN and BT  and a potential fix applied . if you keep rebooting your router that will make the problem worse. leave it connected. If the connection drops then this will prove to PN that a fault needs investigating .
custos
Aspiring Pro

I only reboot the router when all else fails. It is then the only way to get the connection back. The trouble shooting guide in the router suggests doing it.
custos
Aspiring Pro

I have been reading the support guide which says this about frequent disconnections:
A broadband connection may drop from time to time which is actually quite normal. We would generally say that if your connection is dropping more than 3 or 4 times a day, this could be considered a problem.
So that's OK then and I don't have a problem, since my disconnections are usually less than 3 or 4 times a day?
runhare
Aspiring Pro

I still think you should report a problem. officially . Then if it is not repsonded to you can take it up further here. Disconnects and having to reboot your router are a very good sign that something is wrong.
As I have just said to someone else, PN can't necessarily  identify you as one of their customers on this forum andcannot make adjustments to or comment on your account on the basis that you have made a comment on this forum . You could be anybody!
Good luck  Smiley
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Your forum account is linked to your Plusnet account, so Plusnet staff can (usually) identify accounts from forum usernames. But yes, you would still need to raise a fault to get it looked at properly by the faults team.
custos
Aspiring Pro

OK, well I am currently saving the WAN event log. Since my last reboot yesterday evening PPPoA has gone down twice but recovered on it's own. I will see how it goes without me intervening for 24 hours.
custos
Aspiring Pro

After a few days of a stable connection the problem started again. The system tries to establish a much higher sync speed that is sustainable resulting in constant loss of the Internet and often the only was I can restore it is to re-boot the router. I will contact support.
hottroc
Grafter

You are having the same problem as several people here. I wonder if there is a problem with one of their routers and they haven't yet realised it? I also had a few stable days then the problem started again. If you raise a fault they will probably change your SNR but I don't think they are seeing the bigger picture. PN are you listening?
runhare
Aspiring Pro

After a few days of a stable connection the problem started again. The system tries to establish a much higher sync speed that is sustainable resulting in constant loss of the Internet and often the only was I can restore it is to re-boot the router. I will contact support.

I'd plump for an intermittent  line fault causing  this issue:  eg wind blowing the overhead cables casuing a noisy line .  Plus nets equimpment  is tryign to compensate for nosie and  errors by adjusting SNR and this is resulting in the line becoming unstable hence you are disconnected .  Go through the faults process !
custos
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: hottroc
You are having the same problem as several people here. I wonder if there is a problem with one of their routers and they haven't yet realised it? I also had a few stable days then the problem started again. If you raise a fault they will probably change your SNR but I don't think they are seeing the bigger picture. PN are you listening?

I have tried three different routers, two of which are new. It seems to me that the problem is an unrealistic target SNR of just 3dB. Sometimes after a reset it is below even that. The connection to my property is new and all of it is underground. There is no noise on my line. Often I am unable to use the Internet even though the router reports it is still connected. Examination of the Router Log shows many repeated failed hand-shakes and this often goes on a long time before PPPoA goes down and eventually a new connection is established.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: hottroc

If the line is dropping sync this is absolutely nothing to do with our network, if there was an issue with one of our routers it'd be most likely to show as performance issues.
I would strongly recommended opening a fault so we can investigate.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
custos
Aspiring Pro

I am not sure who 'Chris' is talking to? I have reported my problem as a 'fault' although as I am surprised that so far nobody has commented on my suggestion that the target SNR is simply too low?
custos
Aspiring Pro

PPPoA down four times already today (0830,1050 1159 and 1206) with long periods of no Internet access even when the router reports otherwise. Looking at some of the other similar posts it seems I am not alone 🙂
custos
Aspiring Pro

This morning Plusnet Support has informed me that they are going to turn interleaving on but my router reports 'Latency type: Interleaved' - does that not mean that it is already on?