cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVBViewer Recording Service, access from internet

fingers

DVBViewer Recording Service, access from internet

I have searched these forums and not found my issue. I have Plusnet Fibre to Cabinet with Technicolour router.
On my PC connected to one of the ethernet ports, I am running the satellite TV software, DVBViewer (with an internal twin tuner satellite card). I also have the DBD Viewer Recording Service extra also installed on the PC. Using the DVBViewer Controller app on my Android tablet I can successfully access the Recording Service over WiFi. I can set timers, even stream live satellite broadcasts from the PC to the tabley. That all works extremely well.
My request for help is to get the tablet to access the PC over the internet (not wifi) remotely so that I can set TV recording timers when I am away from home. It would appear possible but I am stuck.
Has anyone done this through the Plusnet Fibre Broadband Technicolour router. I am at  loss as to why I cannot get it to work. Is this at all possible with Plusnet? Or am I clutching at straws?
Thank you.
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: DVBViewer Recording Service, access from internet

There'll be a port you need to forward from the router to the PC, you'll also need to make sure that you know the address of your home connection - I'd recommend setting up some kind of free dynamic DNS service, such as http://www.noip.com/free
Not sure what ports need forwarding I'm afraid as I don't know the service you're using, but once those two things have been done you should be able to set recordings from wherever you are Smiley
fingers

Thank you Matt for your quick reply. I know the IP address currently allocated by Plusnet and would like to use that get started (I know it will change if I disconnect or am disconnected). And I know which port (8xx9) needs to be open. Where do I set up port forwarding. I have tried the Router configuration page for setting Games and Applications, but am at a loss how to fill it in?
Sorry, I was a bit techie once but this is all new to me.
picbits
Rising Star

I don't personally use the Technicolor router but in general you need to set your WAN port 8xx9 to forward to your internal IP address port 8xx9
I.e. if your recording software is on 192.168.1.123 then you would forward WAN port 8xx9 to port 8xx9 on 192.168.1.123
Then from outside your network you would just use your WAN IP address i.e. 82.123.123.101:8xx9 and you should be able to access the device inside your LAN.
gofaster
Rising Star

TORPC
Grafter

Instructions for the TG582n can be found @ http://npr.me.uk/forwardports.html
fingers

Thank you everyone above, for trying to help me. I am attempting to follow your advice right now.
I have managed to create an Application which does not have the forwarding port numbers showing in the Technicolour router list. Sadly I cannot seem to delete it. The Delete box is present for all the others, but not the one I erroneously created.
I will be back when I manage to sort out how to get out of that! I am now in an unholy mess.
Many thanks again. Why is it all so techie!!!? And I used to be one!
fingers

Some success. Managed to unassign the faulty application (why did it not use the term delete!).
Then re-entered the correct port data on the Technicolour router forwarding. It worked once. I got remote access just once, but now I cannot!
But inch by inch I am slowly getting there. Thank you all again.
fingers

Total success!
Got the old brain cells engaged. Ditched the Technicolour Router in favour of my replaced Netgear DGN3700 which has dual band, much better router than the Technicolour one.Easier to set up Port Forwarding.
Had some trouble setting up the Windows 7 firewall Inbound rules, but finally cracked it.
Then (thank you Matt Taylor) set up a no-ip DNS service and bingo, it's all working. Happy Bunny.
Thank you everyone who posted on this thread for helping me.
Fingers... Smiley Smiley
picbits
Rising Star

Glad you got it all sorted.
The Technicolor router doesn't have the most intuitive interface but is reasonably capable. I used one to port forward to a variety of servers and devices on my old connection.