cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLAM and router chips

jjaycee1
Grafter

DSLAM and router chips

I am looking into getting an alternative router and note that it is suggested that a router with the same chip as the  DSLAM offers best results. Can anyone advise if this is correct and is it the ISP DSLAM or exchange DSLAM chip that should be the same e.g. Broadcom to Broadcom. How would one find out about the DSLAM chip in an exchange?
Also, anyone suggest a good router for a long line of 63.5 Attenuation. I have been told of Billion 7800, 2 Wire 2700 and surprisingly  the Thomson (Technicolor??) Speedtouch 585v6. Any others? Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: DSLAM and router chips

It's the hardware in the exchange, ISP is not relevant unless it's LLU where they have their own equipment in the exchange.
From the stats you posted earlier, you have:
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB/----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM/TSTC
So the hardware in the exchange is TSTC (Texas Instruments). The DG834G v3 was based on the Texas Instruments AR7 chip. But the AR7 chip (or any further developments from it) doesn't seem to be very common anymore, Texas Instruments sold it off or spun it off as a separate company. Broadcom based routers seem very common these days. It can even be difficult to buy an exact chip since some vendors seem to like changing the internal chips without changing the model number - and we ended up with 5 different types of Netgear DG834G!
jjaycee1
Grafter

Very informative. Thanks. My previous router was in fact the Netgear 834g v3 and it performed better than the 582n has to date, regarding stability and connection speed etc. So maybe there is some truth in a matching chipset . Are you saying that only the v3 had the Texas Instrument AR7 in it?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The v3 didn't suppress the spikes very well though as you will remember from your graphs! The DG834v4 and DG834GT both have broadcom chipsets which perform well.
jjaycee1
Grafter

I agree somewhat with your reminder on the Netgear spikes, but I remember that I was told the Netgear would not measure decimal point increase or reduction figures but only in whole numbers. This would slightly distort visual graph reading.
My point regarding the 834g v3 was that it has the same chipset as my exchange. The2 routers you mention are Broadcom.
Do you think it is better to have the same chipset as the exchange? This is something mentioned frequently in router forums. As you know I have been looking to replace the 582n.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I used a Safecom SWART somethingorother on a 'TSTC' exchange some time back, this was an AR7 based modem/router and could give fantastic connection speeds but it was not as stable as other modem/routers I used so there may always be something of a trade-off.  The AR7 based device might  be good for a line with minimal noise and errors but I'd personally say not for a noisier (longer) line.
Broadcom do seem to have the best overall reputation for decent speed with stability.
The (now old-ish) BT Business Hub (2-wire 2700HGV or 2701HGV) have an excellent reputation for stability on long lines (not necessarily the fastest connection) and can probably be picked up on well known auction sites for a modest amount.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
godsell4
Rising Star

The 2wire 2700HGV is what I currently have, it gets synced at about 3Mb on my 6km line, I have just ordered the new 7800DXL (I wanted the 5GHz .11n mode for home streaming of video) will let this forum know how well it works on my line when I get it.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That'll be interesting. Good digging there to find this old thread as well  Wink
maximod
Grafter

As i am on a long line (5+ km), i have been using a 2700hgv router with good results.
The dg834gt router works well, but unlike the 2700hgv, it does not reallocate tones that become unusable at night,  the net result is that over time the sync gradually reduces.
As i have been suffering from a known dns issue on the 2700hgv where certain url's fail to load, i have just ordered a Billion 7800n router, as it gets rave reviews for stability and sync rates it will be interesting to see how it performs here.
Might get brave and have my upload uncapped  Shocked
Paul.
godsell4
Rising Star

I have had the 7800dxl for about a week now, so still early days to say if this is a great router for long lines. But ...
The 2700hgv would sync in the mornings at just over 3000kb/s on a 12db SNR setting. To get the 7800dxl to sync at that speed I need to tweak the SNR down to be about a 9db SNR target. It could be that the 2700hgv is just more sensitive or measures SNR in a different way, the main point though is so far it does seem to be able to maintain approximately the same speeds as the 2700hgv.
The range of the Wifi is much improved compared to the 2700hgv,  in places where I use to have blackspots of Wifi coverage, I would say those are gone now.
So short term the results are encouraging.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed