Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL keeps dropping

Demp01
Hooked

DSL keeps dropping

At moment writing this on my S6 so bear with me☺

Starting yesterday I have been getting regular drops in connection ranging from every half hour to sometimes every minute. At moment my drop in connection has been 10 minutes

I did notice in one brief session my SNR was below 3 which I understand to be low. I have tried two routers Netgear 6000 & 6200 both have same issue. I know I haven't given much information but I'm limited by the brief connection times, last connection time was 3 minutes ☹
18 REPLIES 18
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: DSL keeps dropping

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

3dB ought not to be too much of a problem. Rather sounds like you might have a line fault. Is the line noisy? Dial 17070 option 2.

Are you able to post the full router stats?

Is the router plugged into the master socket?

Gel has pointed you to the essential self help which must be done to reduce the risk of an engineer call out finding a fault your side of the test socket - and BT charging for it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Demp01
Hooked

Hi townman,

i got in touch with PN chat, and they the problem was outside the house but as you said, they asked me to follow the troubleshooter which i have done and a ticket is raised. i did a quiet line test as per normal and line was silent no snap, crackle or pops:)

My router is in master socket, what is strange now though now SNR is now at 6 and now my connection has been solid since my last fail at 12.18pm, the mind boggles

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN ADSL link 114047 119204 0 2920 7239 01:06:32
LAN1 Link Down 422523 343444 0 39601 7582 00:00:00
LAN2 1G/Full 01:58:36
LAN3 1G/Full 02:25:46
LAN4 1G/Full 01:07:28
WLAN b/g/n 145M 0 0 0 0 0 02:24:44
WLAN a/n/ac 433M 0 0 0 0 0 02:24:41
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Link Rate 18953 kbps 888 kbps
Line Attenuation 12.8 dB 7.8 dB
Noise Margin 6.0 dB 14.4 dB

i will keep an eye out see what happens

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi @Demp01,

A warm welcome to the forums (previous post was from my phone, hence essentially brief).

Thank you for the router stats - they are very informative!  Changing the TARGET SNRM to 6dB might just be enough to keep the line stable whilst BTOR locate and fix the identified line fault.  If the reported attenuation can be trusted, you might get 22+Mbps at a SNRM of 6dB so there is room for some further improvement.

Even if this remains stable, I would recommend accepting an engineer visit, or if this is an iffy joint issue ... there is no knowing when it might fail completely.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,

I'm just looking in to this now and will reply again shortly.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Testing the line is showing the target SNR is now at 6db and the line is showing much more stable since around midday yesterday:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 7.8 12.8
SNR Margin: 14.5 6.3
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 74200 432321
Speed: 888 18953
The sync speed at nearly 19Mb/s isn't bad, if the line was perfect and the SNR down at 3db then it's possible you'd get a little more out of it.
Having said that, the line is performing well above the fault threshold rate (14541) so sending an engineer isn't something I'd advise as it's likely they will say no fault found and a charge will be applied.

I'll put this information on the fault ticket and pass it back to you so you can decide how to progress and monitor the line for further disconnections.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Demp01
Hooked

Hi,

Its me again:)

As what was said below, at 6db my line was stable and no issues, i got a mail saying that interleaving was being activated on my line. My disconnections have since restarted, since i got home at 5 i have had 7 disconnections and my SnR is all over the place, before my last disconnection i managed to capture this, as you can see my SnR is now 2.4.

How can this be when my line was stable at 6Db and erratic at 3Db that somehow i manage to end up having a SnR 2.4DB?

Is this to do with interleaving? if so can you remove it please?

System Up Time 01:19:21
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 288 173 0 2731 2598 00:00:28
LAN1 Link down 1297123 962213 0 336645 24787 01:18:58
LAN2 1000M/Full
LAN3 1000M/Full
LAN4 1000M/Full
WLAN b/g/n 145M 579862 284395 0 174959 4221 01:18:23
WLAN a/n/ac 867M 22631 2827 0 1114 87 01:18:16

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Link Rate 16591 Kbps 888 Kbps
Line Attenuation 14.0 dB 8.3 dB
Noise Margin 2.4 dB 2.3 dB

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Oh dear!!

I fear it might be time to look elsewhere for the issue and examine the possibility of the dreaded REIN!

Can you please go down load and install RouterStats - links below - and lets start taking a look at "my SNRM is all over the place".

Please try to avoid restarting the router.  When you have got the graphs working (the set up link is for the TG582n but will have some applicability to your router) please pot here the DS SNRM first.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

@Demp01 wrote:
As what was said below, at 6db my line was stable and no issues, i got a mail saying that interleaving was being activated on my line. My disconnections have since restarted, since i got home at 5 i have had 7 disconnections and my SnR is all over the place, before my last disconnection i managed to capture this, as you can see my SnR is now 2.4.

How can this be when my line was stable at 6Db and erratic at 3Db that somehow i manage to end up having a SnR 2.4DB?

DLM in the exchange can change the SNR target as it sees fit. Looking at your connection, I can see the instability yesterday but since then it appears to have been stable and your SNR is back up to 6db.

I'm going to make some adjustments to the DLM to try to pin the SNR at 6db which should go through tomorrow.

Is this to do with interleaving? if so can you remove it please?

Interleaving is something different. It's a form of error correction which can help stabilise a line. We can turn this off, however as you're having stability issues I wouldn't recommend that.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf,

Hi Anoush,

To be clear (and manage the user's expectation and understanding) you can only "pin" the TARGET SNRM.

What the user sees at any one moment in their router stats is the CURRENT SNRM which will vary according to any change in background noise compared to the noise level present at the time of the last resynch using the TARGET SNRM.  Such variability can point to an environmental issue and can only be realistically profiled by using router monitoring tools.

Demp01
Hooked

Hi all,

im new to this routerstats thing so bear with me if i have attached wrong thing (took a while to get routerstats working with my router). Came home from work today and switched on computer and started logging as soon as win 10 had done its thing, here is a screen clip from the graph, as you can see since 17.02pm i have had 16 broadband drops which is quite unacceptable in my opinion.However i do notice since that initial bout of chaos it has got stable albeit at under  5db, does this point to something causing the drop offs during that time span?

Capture.JPG

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That is a really good start!

Sometimes one needs to be careful about the reports of measurement tools.  If RS cannot get the data to plot it plots ZERO values.  It might not get the data because the router admin page was unresponsive (whilst being busy doing other stuff).

It would be useful to (a) change the Y-axis maximum to just 15 dB. (b) Right click the graph and tick "Plot DS Rx speed".

Go look at the router log (there is a button at the top of the graph to do this) and look for xDSL disconnections at the times indicated on the graph - I doubt you will find any.

You really need to leave this running 24x7.  What is the sample interval?

You should find copies of these graphs in the RS folder - thereby you do not need to do screen grabs.

What is of interest on this graph is the gradual fall of the SNRM trend ... need to keep a watch on this!

Demp01
Hooked

@Townman

Ok i have changed Y-axis to 15db and plot the ds RX speedSmiley

There is no xdsl disconnections in router logs as you suspected-don't know if thats good or bad

i will leave it running from now until this time-ish tomorrow that way it should capture the whole range of household activity if that's causing the issue.

I used the sample rate that RS started with, think it was 5 secs, what should i set it too ideally?

Demp01
Hooked

So here is my router logs from previous night-first one starting 9-15 ending 550am. I am not an expert in these things but looking at that graph there is something wrong. Prior to 1030ish my connection is as erratic as they come before settling down, then at 350am connections starts getting erratic and once more the drops start. This early no one is even awake!

This is getting tiresome as i have been online only 40 mins and already my network uptime monitor has said there has been 21 fails???