cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL Connection Down

Everard37
Hooked

DSL Connection Down

After experiencing a few days of much lower than normal speeds I reset my router to factory settings, after being logged on for about half an hour a page appeared advising that the 'DSL Connection is Down'. Since then my router only displays the power light with the broadband light occasionally flashing before cutting out.

11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: DSL Connection Down

Hi there,

Assuming you're still using the Tg582n route we originally supplied this could indicate a fault with the device if the power light is lit red.

If however it's green with the broadband light flickering that would point towards a fault with the service instead.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Everard37
Hooked

Thanks for the reply.

To confirm I am still using the router provided.

After a reset the power light is no longer showing red. Instead the broadband light flashes and then either cuts out or connects for roughly half an hour a time before cutting out again.

The speed when connected ranges from 0.3-5.5 but current line speed shows 15.1...does this suggest a fault with the service rather than the line?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

If the power light is red rather than green that means the router itself has malfunctioned, if that's the case we'd advise seeking a replacement.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Everard37
Hooked

Even if it's no longer showing red after a reset?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.  I recall issues with the TG572n showing the power led as red, but that being of no material issue.  IIRC PlusNET did investigate this with their supplier, but I have no recollection of the conclusion reached. @npr or @ejs might recall.

Given your description of the problem it might be worth working through the usual basics before spending dosh on a replacement router if you cannot borrow one.

Do you have a clear dial tone?

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Everard37
Hooked

Hi Townman

Thank you for the reply. Stats to follow. Drops have been less frequent in the past few days but overall speed still around a 10th of usual.

DSL Connection  

Link Information

Uptime: 1 day, 6:02:40
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 16,781
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 488.39 / 5.12
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.6 / 24.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.6 / 9.0
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 181 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 14,514
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 217
HEC Errors (Up/Down):

0 / 1,384

BTW Test Results -

Download - 0.31 Mbps

Upload - 0.17 Mbps

Ping Latency - 0.00 ms (??)

PN Profile Current Line Speed - 16.3 Mb

Thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,

First pass look at these figures - the synch speed is OK for 9dB SNRM on your line.  We ought to see nearer 18Mbps, however that higher SNRM (normally expect 6dB) could well account of the difference.

You've said that there have been a spate of drops - that could explain the elevated SNRM.

The data speed is though pants! Was that done over wifi or with an Ethernet cable AND THE WIFI SWITCHED OFF?

Something is not right with the profile figures.  When was this data acquired - all at the same time?  Can you please do the FURTHER DIAGNOSTICS on the BTw speed test - that will indicate what BT think the profile should be.  If the Plusnet speed was gathered at some time previously, please check it again when you doe the full BTw speed test.

For the synch speed displayed, the profile should be 14.8Mbps.  The profile reported, implies a previous synch speed of 18.4Mbps which is what one would expect if the SNRM was 6db.

You've not commented on line quality - did you do the quiet line test?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Everard37
Hooked

Hi

Thanks for your continued support with this. I'll admit to not being very knowledgeable in this area.

I've not been able to do a phone line test as we don't actually have a landline phone at the property.

The previous BTW test was carried out 10-15 mins after the stats as I spent some time making sure other housemates were off the wireless. I've run both tests again, this time with wireless turned off on the device I ran them from:

DSL Connection  

Link Information

Uptime: 1 day, 7:41:10
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 16,781
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 530.37 / 5.64
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.6 / 24.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.6 / 9.0
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 187 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 15,318
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 222
HEC Errors (Up/Down):

0 / 1,441

Download - 8.69

Upload - 0.27

Ping Latency - 45.50

Quite a big change, does this mean it's likely a router issue?

Thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,

No we are not yet looking at a router issue.  BTw speed tests vary all of the time, especially over wifi an in the evening when internet usage is high.  If that test was run with a cable connection to the router, with wifi switched off on the computer and you can be sure that no other devices were connected to the internet, then that is an improvement but there's more to go.  What is there that's using the internet service all together?  Do not forget mobile phones, TVs, xBoxes...

It might be the case that your wifi channel is congested.  Look at changing the wifi channel manually - try channels 1,6 or 11 only.

Can you try to borrow a phone hand set - it is a critical diagnostic tool.  If you have a noisy line, there's no point worrying about broad band until that is fixed.

I need to see the further diagnostics test after the basic BTw test please... see link at the bottom of this...

Capture speedtest.JPG

Everard37
Hooked

Hi

I've just gone through the diagnostics tests and after the 3rd it advised that the line has performed poorly throughout the tests and the issue should be raised with the supplier stating that the line had failed the 3rd test.

I'll try and arrange for the landlord to bring a handset round to test for a noisy line tomorrow. 

Thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Did the further diagnostics get as far as reporting a line profile?