Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: DNS

I got 75% dns loss last night, was it a planned tinkering session. No PPP drop etc
avisoft
Grafter

Two things have happened with my blocklist lookups today...
1.  The PlusNet servers seem to be ok again. Was anything changed?
2.  The AntiSpam developer discovered he was wrong - it was requesting type=ANY in some circumstances. My version now always requests type=A.
So, I now seem to have two fixes for my problem!
Thanks for the help.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Something seemed to have been going on between 2.00am and 4.00am if you look at 30FTTC06's screen shot. Hopefully Kelly or Bob can shed some light on it.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Nothing much visible on the DNS response time graphs.
I am attempting to modify dnsmasq to log queries that fail, but I haven't got anywhere yet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The DNS response times are looking better atm than when I looked the other day and there's plenty of users on line at present.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

My times seem slightly better on this weekly graph, also i have noticed page load times appear to load quicker, especially on our slower pads.
Maybe somebody has better graphs.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: avisoft
2.  The AntiSpam developer discovered he was wrong - it was requesting type=ANY in some circumstances. My version now always requests type=A.

As another user of AntiSpam I tried it with the "Divert Weight > 30" rule you suggested on the mailing list (I think) and it locked up AntiSpam, but I've just tried it again and it now seems to be working OK.
I just have to wait and see if it catches any spam now...
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Nope, not to my knowledge.

Glad to hear it's working again Smiley
Quote from: Anotherone
Something seemed to have been going on between 2.00am and 4.00am if you look at 30FTTC06's screen shot. Hopefully Kelly or Bob can shed some light on it.

Just had a look and there was a callout around that time to investigate a problem affecting one of our backend portal servers and some of our Sheffield load balancers but I doubt that's related Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Stopped working again this morning (for me) so had to comment out the offending Rule.
I'll wait for FdeB to fix it...
avisoft
Grafter

Brian: if you ask FdeB nicely he will tell you how to fix it ... it is a VERY simple change! (and in the latest dev build).
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Curious - I just downloaded and installed the latest dev build but I can't get it to run. Back to the AS mailing list for me..
SuperZoom
Grafter

After noticing today that PlusNet's DNS servers are running PowerDNS Recursor 3.4-pre I (for some reason) remembered seeing this thread months ago.
I wonder whether the problem with AntiSpam was actually caused by an upgrade to PowerDNS version 3.5, which was released in April?
It changed the way ANY queries were handled...
So maybe a downgrade fixed it?
The handling of ANY queries has been changed again in September's release.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The PlusNet DNS servers still don't answer ANY queries, nothing was changed on PlusNet's end in that regard.
I think the PowerDNS changelog refers to how PowerDNS forwards queries on to other DNS servers, but that's not really relevant because PlusNet's DNS servers have been configured to ignore type ANY queries that they receive.
SuperZoom
Grafter

Well, easy enough for those affected to directly test versions of AntiSpam against versions of PowerDNS in case of future problems, anyway.