Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS weirdness

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: DNS weirdness

http://treewalkdns.com/ Can't remember when I last had any DNS problems! (I think it was probably a couple of years ago)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

which is ok if you run windows and want to install something on each PC, but not much use for my PS3 / linux / mac kit...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
rammie1976
Grafter

I had problems yesterday, the day before and particulary tonight.  Angry
Why don't Plusnet do something about it?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: adiewoo
which is ok if you run windows and want to install something on each PC, but not much use for my PS3 / linux / mac kit...

Is there one windows PC which is usually on? If so put TreeWalk on that and point the PS3 / linux / mac to that PC as their primary DNS server, leave Plusnet/OpenDNS as alternative DNS servers for when the Windows PC is not on.
jamessealey
Grafter

This is clearly an intermittent issue, but it is an issue that has been ongoing for 48+ hours now. Surely someone somewhere at PlusNet towers can see where the problem is?
Nothing mentioned on the Service Status page either, beginning to loose faith in the level of accuracy of the information on that page. Is it only the information they want us to see getting posted on there?
(cynically) James
Tigger
Rising Star

Ah! So it's not just me!!!!  Sad
and I see no Service Status???  Angry
Could have saved myself some time and effort wondering why the lights all appear to be on yet no-one at home.  Cry
Could someone PLEASE put up a Service Status?Huh
tonycollinet
Grafter

We are having it here too - kids are complaining.
Come on plus - even a message on the status page saying there are reports of problems would help others who are getting it.
scootie
Grafter

might be pointless post here but ive not seen any issues here on 21cn (first time for every thing Grin ) and ive been at my pc for 24 solid hours minus caffine breaks
router manual set to use .49 .50 dns servers
and nslookup
gives this
Default Server:  pth-cdns01.plus.net
Address:  212.159.13.49
adriantribe
Dabbler

This DNS problem has been driving me (and my kids!) mad over the past couple of days, and yes, I'm really annoyed that there's been no mention of this on the service status or priority problems pages.  I didn't think to look here in the forums until this morning, prompted by a response to a support call in which the support guy did actually tell me that there was an ongoing DNS problem.  Grrrr.
Any way, in all my playing around with rebooting my modem/router, flushing my DNS caches etc etc i didn't find anywhere that I could actually manually tell the modem/router to use different DNS settings.  The web interface (it's a BT Voyager 2100) was telling me that it's using 212.159.6.10 and 212.159.6.9, but I can't see how to change these.  Sorry if this is a bit if a beginneer's question, but can anyone tell me where in that router's configuration screens I can manually enter different DNS server addresses?  It sounds as though other people are doing much better either with .49 and .50 or using OpenDNS servers.  Thanks very much in advance for any advice and help.
Best wishes,
Adrian
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You don't have to change it in your router. Change the network settings on your PC to use the DNS servers you want.
James
Grafter

Guys,
Bob posted here yesterday asking for you to do a few things when you were experiencing difficulties.
I understand that a number of you are seeing problems, but we need to be able to investigate it with your help from following the steps identified in Bob's post.
mikeyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi, Can I add my name to the list of people being affected by this since the weekend.
This morning at 7am I was getting timeouts to numerous sites (except plusnet site). My router stats showed everything was happy with the connection.  Prior to this morning a couple of refreshes would get it going again and a router reboot to get on a different gateway helped for a couple of hours.  I didn't have time to play about with it this morning before having to come to work.  I know I could manually enter DNS settings in my router / computer and I will do if plusnet say it might be a while before they sort it out but I would prefer to leave all the settings at their defaults if possible.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

How about a service status post with a link to Bob's post?
adriantribe
Dabbler

You took the words right out of my mouth there Jelv!  If they want people's help investigating the problem, people need to know about it in the obvious place that people look - the service status page!
About your earlier reply to my question - thank you for that.  The problem I have with that is that I use my PC (a laptop) in three different locations using three different connectivity providers (plusnet at home, 3 mobile while out and about, and my university network while at work).  To my knowledge each system sets my laptop to use different DNS servers.  Will it matter if I hard-code servers of my own choice?  Again, sorry for what may be a beginner's question, but thank you for your indulgence!
ATB,
Adrian
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@darkskye, thanks for those traces, they're hitting the site that we were having problems with yesterday. Given the continued problems being reported I'll get something posted to Service Status now ((seen a few complaints on Twitter too). I've seen a couple of reports on Twitter too.
My suspicions are that this is a communication/routing problem that's only affected one site. If this is the case then rebooting your kit should clear the problem once you connect to a gateway that routes your DNS requests to another location.
We do have an internal problem open to investigate this (ref: 57301) however it would help tremendously if you could help provide some of the diagnostic output I asked for in yesterdays post.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵