Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS problems?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: DNS problems?

@chrisclark91 I can arrange for a router to be sent out on loan to test for this if you like?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kmilburn
Grafter

Another handy program to test DNS issues is 'nslookup'  from a command line.
chrisclark91
Grafter

That would be great if possible, Adam. Just happened again and the whole net was out for 10 minutes, and happened earlier somewhere between 10-11 am.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It's all wrapped up and ready to go out in today's post.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chrisclark91
Grafter

Thanks Adam :). It's been happening a terrible amount today, net has been practically unusable since midday, just constant losing DNS then gaining it for a few minutes max if I'm lucky then losing it again. Only thing I've noticed is that when I do an ipconfig /all while the problem is active then my "Primary DNS suffix" is blank but other than that, I haven't noticed anything odd in Windows.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No probs,
I've set myself a reminder to give you a call towards to start of next week to see how things are going.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chrisclark91
Grafter

Adam, unfortunately you've sent me a DSL router, a Thompson TG585. I'm on a fibre connection so it's unusable.
iainmacmillan
Grafter

when your net link is up, can you check/search to see of any other users are having this issue with your model of router and DNS related errors?  have you tried OPENDNS settings, even entering them on your IPv4 TCP settings, to bypass the router -- fill in both DNS IP slots?  any recent Win 7 patches/updates applied??  Do you have VPN software installed?
I disable all my IPv6 settings on all adapters in Win 7.  I also find disabling autotune and heuristic settings to improve the network throughput, but this would not help with DNS issues.  I use OPEN DNS, but through manual settings, if i set my DGN3500 router to use anything other than auto, it drops the internet link.
final test option, would be to delete the Ethernet or wireless network adapter and allow a restart to re-detect it and see if a rebuild of the adapter may cure it (making sure you are using the latest driver). Keep an eye out for MS Virtual WiFi Adapter device (Show Hidden) which may cause issues -- disable to test.
chrisclark91
Grafter

Tried opendns, google, and ones recommended to me via a DNS benchmark test, entered through Windows tcp/ip settings alone, through the actual router hardware alone and both at the same time, problem still occurs. Yes filled in primary and secondary.
No recent updates, as I said nothing at all has changed since when my connection was stable to when it's started doing this, no new software installed, no new updates installed.
Problem also occurs on my laptop with entirely different hardware and a different OS so there's absolutely 100% no doubt in my mind that this is either my router, or the actual connection itsself. Somehow I don't see it being the router as I've changed no settings and this problem never use to occur before. But apparantely my connection is "fine", atleast that's what I think (not even sure if anyone from plusnet has actually checked my connection for any abnormalities, nobody has confirmed whether they have or not, they've just said it can't be a problem with our dns servers).
Once I can check if it's the router, if I'm still having the problem then obviously it's my connection. But I was sent a DSL router which isn't compatible with my connection so I just have to wait a bit longer for a correct replacement.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi chrisclark91,
I've order a fibre router for you. Let us know if this resolved your issues.
Jojo Smiley
chrisclark91
Grafter

Thanks jojo, and no worries about sending the wrong router Adam, those things happen Tongue
chrisclark91
Grafter

Well it's strange, since the new router arrived (haven't tried it yet), I've only had the dns dropout problem once in 4 days  ::). So I hope the problem has decided to resolve itsself somehow, I'll give it another week or so incase it starts messing up again before sending the router back if that's fine?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks, give us a shout if that starts to become an issue again for you.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chrisclark91
Grafter

Ok I'm sorry but I'm beginning to lose my patience and fast with this. I've been on holiday for the past 2 weeks, I come back today and a couple hours after getting back and using the net, I'm disconnected with this DNS problem for 40 minutes. Why am I paying £35 a month for something I can't even use?
This is now 100% undeniably an issue your side plusnet so I hope to see a fix and fast..
Not my hardware - Happens on both my W7 Desktop and XP laptop
Appeared randomly out of nowhere one day after connection was previously fine for 50+ days (stable 24/7)
Not my router - router replacement has no effect
Not any router settings or any windows settings
Tried various DNS servers (google, openDNS and more) through both Windows and Router settings page
The only possible option is a problem with my line.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The only possible option is a problem with my line.

Looking at your account you did seem to disconnect at around the time of the outage yesterday and again afterwards. The the second one was probably us rebalancing the network. Following that you've been connected for over 21 hours and prior to yesterday 7 days so I don't think there's an issue.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team