cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS issues and long customer support wait times

ed1

DNS issues and long customer support wait times

Hi,

I have been having connection issues for the past 2 days. Whenever I tried to go online I just got a 'could not be reached' in the browser window. 

My neighbor has been over to have a look and says it is a DNS issue, after changing my DNS servers over to googles (8.8.4.4, 8.8.8.8 ) everything is working normally. As soon as he changed them back everything stopped working again. There are no faults listed on plusnet's service checker.

I have now been sat in a queue to your customer support team for over 25 minutes, which is also ridiculous, especially for a company that purports to pride itself on 'good ole Yorkshire values'. Please can you advise as to why this has now become an issue and when it will be resolved. It seems more than ridiculous to have something so fundamentally wrong with your network for such long periods of time. Please can you also advise as to what steps you are taking to address your poor waiting times to get hold of customer support.

4 REPLIES 4
neilm1

Re: DNS issues and long customer support wait times

I have the same issue with DNS, since Sunday morning. Resetting the Hub One fixes it for about 20 minutes and then it goes off again. The broadband network never drops, it just doesn't resolve server names. DNS entries on the router are 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10.

I've spoken to support 4 times now, done a factory reset, a rack change in the exchange, removed a static IP that I didn't know I had, and now I've set static DNS entries on my PC which is working but doesn't help any of the other devices in the house. I'm being sent a replacement router but not sure if that will really help. Is this likely to be a local router fault?

karjala
Dabbler

Routers are poor DNS resolvers generally. Best to distribute a good set to your machines via DHCP if you use that.

Google's are OK if you're OK with that. I've found that two operated by Internap in London are the best: ns1.lon.pnap.net

and ns2.lon.pnap.net. Suggest you set three from Internap, Google, Plusnet and your router.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Not sure about the Hub One issue but @ed1, I've just pushed an update to your router that I'm hoping has improved the situation?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵