Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS and Samsung smart 3D TV problem

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: DNS and Samsung smart 3D TV problem

It's currently being investigated by our Networks Team at the moment.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: AndyH
@ SuperFlyWiFi
I would get your graph looked at. The packet loss is not right and not normal - it will affect pretty much anything you do.

There were 5 or so graphs showing the same loss on http://community.plus.net/ping-graphs last night, so we're having a dig.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: stealth
I have had a samsung tv for two years and it has functioned properly on the internet.
This was until today, I selected I-Player and told my the connection had interference. I checked it out and it told me there was a connection to the router but not to the internet.
All other devices such as telephones, iPad and pcs are working fine.. But not the tv. I tried 8.8.8.8 google dns and the tv connect straight away..
So the question is why will my tv not connect when the dns setting is auto, it has been in this setting for two years...
David

I have exactly the same situation. I thought I was going crazy, both my Samsung TVs not connecting, but Sony TV OK. Also Samsung tablet and Galaxy S5 OK - I cannot understand why only TVs are affected. This has only been a problem for me in the past two days. When I telephoned support they told me of the 8.8.8.8 solution and this all right, but I would like to know why auto DNS suddenly stopped working.
As usual, nothing on Service Status about this.  There never seems to be about specific problems, only general stuff.
Kelly
Hero

This was posted earlier: http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1401182032.htm
Kelly Dorset
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Well a typical example of a Service Status. Just a general comment about  DNS. The issue on this thread is specifically about Samsung TVs. There may be a general DNS fault but this is surely different to the Samsung TV problem?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

We're not 100% sure but it's likely to be linked to the same issue.
There's not really a lot we can put onto a Service Status whilst we're investigating it.
Kelly
Hero

I suspect the Samsung TVs are doing a connectivity test which is failing because of the DNS problem
Kelly Dorset
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: Nick
The issue on this thread is specifically about Samsung TVs. There may be a general DNS fault but this is surely different to the Samsung TV problem?

This general issue becomes specific to the Samsung TV for two reasons as indicated by npr...
Quote from: npr
TV's probably don't have a dns cache, also CDN servers tend to have a short ttl time making them more sensitive to flakey name servers.

The TV probably does not cache (remember) the name resolution and thus needs to ask for it more frequently.
The CDN servers (content delivery server's) DNS registration lifetime values are shorter than would be the norm for servers, thus there is an increased need to look up the name resolution again.
Combine those characteristics with an intermittent DNS fault and you have Samsung TV's playing up in unexpected ways.

Seems Samsung has a number of issues with their TVs at present - only last month mine started switching itself off and on all on its own.  That turned out to be an issue with digital text messages from Channel 4 - only seemed to affect Samsung Smart TVs.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

picbits
Rising Star

I suspect that the Samsung TV may be set to ping a preset site/url which has dropped off the Plusnet DNS so it can't resolve back to its IP address.
All it takes is the one duff entry on the PN DNS servers and every customer with a product that uses that URL would be affected.
My Samsung TV grabs its DNS from my Linux DHCP server which is set to serve out the Google and OpenDNS addresses so I haven't noticed any issues personally.
stealth

I decided to go back to Auto DNS yesterday to try it and it connected straight away.
I suspect the same as others and that Samsung ping a set address and DNS is a little slow / tricky and they don't get a response instantly that is the end....
All is well for now but keep the 8.8.8.8 in my mind !
Thank you for all your answers ..
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Just to let you know, following your status update today these is no difference with my Samsung TV.  Still cannot resolve DNS.
Kelly
Hero

weird! Is there a reset, or cache flush option on the TV?
Kelly Dorset
Nick_Russell
Grafter

No, but I deleted the connection to my router and searched for it again. When it finds the router it connects OK, and reports connection to the internet but the DNS is 192.168.0.1 - my router's IP. My other Samsung TV, using your 8.8.8.8 solution works OK.
Kelly
Hero

What model the TV that isn't working?
Kelly Dorset
Nick_Russell
Grafter

My apologies, the DNS on the TV was showing up as 192.168.0.1 so I assumed it was not working. On the other TV I had set DNS to 8.8.8.8 and this was OK. In fact when I tested BBC iPlayer, on each set both worked OK. I put the other TV back to Select DNS automatically and this still worked OK. By the way, they both now show DNS as 192.168.0.1 - is this normal?
Sorry about not checking before. FYI the TVs were Samsung UE22F5410AK and UE40ES8000U.