Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Servers down?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: DNS Servers down?

We're still having routing issues resulting in the DNS servers being unavailable.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Pop! All working again.
They seem to have returned (temporarily at least)!
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
artmo
Aspiring Champion

5.59pm and I can't get through to the PN site Sad
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I can but I am using Google DNS servers
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I can but I am using Google DNS servers

How does one use "Google DNS Servers" & what are they!
drj
Aspiring Pro

Working for me just at the moment, but I first noticed problems at lunchtime when I had a DNS lookup problem and this evening I've been thrown off completely about 15 minutes ago - though back on and OK now.
NedLudd
Grafter

Seems OK now!
Geoff,
York.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@tijara33
If you are using Windows the easiest way is to go to TCP/IP properties via your Network Connection Properties and change it to use specified DNS server addresses. I use my modem/router as the Preferred and for the Alternative you could chose from several, eg. -
OpenDNS is 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220; Google 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 just some of the most common. You can use your favourite search engine to find others.
quelquod
Pro

Quote from: tijara33
How does one use "Google DNS Servers" & what are they!

Do a google for DNS and read up about how they work.
Normally your router is set up to use PlusNet's DNS servers but there are lots of free DNS servers around which you can use equally well.
When you connect your router to your ISP (PlusNet) then normally it is automatically set up with the DNS server address(es) which the ISP chooses and your PC then gets its DNS in turn from the router. However you can augment or bypass this. One possibility is to change the DNS setting on your PC so that it points to another DNS server. An alternative is that usually (invariably?) you can alter the DNS settings on your router to either replace or supplement the addresses which PlusNet supply. The exact way of doing this varies from router to router.
The advantage of changing things on the router is that any device which obtains its DNS server address from the it (normally this is every device which you connect to it) gets the new DNS server address immediately so if something breaks you can change everything to a new DNS server more or less straightaway. Interestingly the various DNS servers are sometimes a little out of step with one another as changes propagate around the network, so sometimes one DNS server will resolve a name properly where another won't.
See here http://community.plus.net/library/dns/how-to-change-the-default-dns-servers-in-a-thomson-speedtouch-... for an example.
<edit> Oops!! - overtaken for typing too slowly  Wink </edit>
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
drj
Aspiring Pro

Thank you for the explanation - however webmail seems to be rocketing along tonight now!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

The DNS servers were fine throughout yesterday. The problem was the routing of traffic to allow customers to 'talk' to them. Should be sorted now so shout up if you've further problems.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Thanks quelquod & anotherone. Since I joined PN & started reading these excellent forums, I've learned so much about the workings of the BB infrastructure. It helps to keep this OAP's grey matter working.