Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Patch

michaelm
Grafter

DNS Patch

Hi
I am not sure whether this is the right place to ask the question but I was reading an article yesterday on the guardian online (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/aug/21/hacking.internet) where they were discussing the recent DNS security flaw.
The article recommended checking with our ISP whether they had patched their DNS servers. Alternatively they pointed out that opendns.com have already patched their servers and looking that site up, they have some very easy to use instructions on how to configure my Belkin router to bypass PlusNet DNS servers.
My questions: Has PlusNet patched their servers? Is it safe enough for me to change my router's default DNS servers to the open DNS ones (assuming PlusNet, has not patched their servers yet)?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Michael
4 REPLIES 4
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: DNS Patch

Plusnet were one of the first ISP's to have installed the patch on all their DNS servers. Smiley
You can check the status on Dan's website at: http://www.doxpara.com/ ; (click the Check my DNS button)
B.
michaelm
Grafter

Thanks Barry
Certainly good to know as I was not too keen to start fooling around with router settings.
Will check on that link for piece of mind later tonight when I get home.
Thanks
Michael
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You might find the Community site blog DNS Flaw Revealed published on 24/07/2008 adds to your reassurance.
David
David
samuria
Grafter

You must remember that the dns the router has has no effect on your pc unless you pc is configured to use the router as dns. You need to check what dns your pc is using with the old ipconfig /all from a cmd prompt