Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Issues?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

DNS Issues?

Anyone else having DNS problems, or is it just me?
Currently using my PlusNet connection, and I am having trouble browsing anything which ends in .com.
.co.uk's are fine, as is .net else I wouldn't be posting here Smiley
Oh well - maybe I should try rebooting my router?
6 REPLIES 6
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: DNS Issues?

Well just after I posted that my router decided to play up, so I had to reboot it anyway.
Seems to be fine now.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I gave up on the Plusnet DNS a while ago.  Got a new laptop recently and wondered why some pages timed out, and some where OK, and some just plain sluggish.....  Forgot I have plusnets DNS, and changed to Googles ones again.  All now fine again.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

There are no known problems with DNS and our resolvers should almost always respond quicker compared to others as they're housed in the same data centres your broadband connection terminates at.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Hi Bob, its just that I have personally noticed that Google and openDNS, seem to make browsing much more snappier than using PlusNets.  May just be a quirk of my system, or something.  Dunno really.....
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: penfold
I gave up on the Plusnet DNS a while ago.  Got a new laptop recently and wondered why some pages timed out, and some where OK, and some just plain sluggish.....  Forgot I have plusnets DNS, and changed to Googles ones again.  All now fine again.

How have you set-up your system,I believe that you are using a 2wire router? Normally you set the DNS servers on the router then allow LAN users to connect using DHCP. This way when you buy new equipment you will not need to worry about setting the DNS manually. Also normally most routers will pass the IP of the router for the DNS and not Plusnets DNS IP addresses.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Itsme...
I have tried setting the DNS in the 2wire router, but as its got the recent BT firmware on it, which I had to hack, to get it to work with Plusnet, its a major issue, as the router keeps telling me my password is not valid.  i believe this is something to do with the way the hack works, ( I got it from http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm )
I have given up,as I only have a laptop and a desktop, so its no major issue to code them in the PC.
if you have any ideas how to fix this, they are gratefully received  Wink