cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Issues

seanbranagh
Grafter

DNS Issues

Anyone else having issues with not being able to access some websites for the past few days?
I have been in contact with a Virgin Media custommer who has confirmed to me that it is not an issue with the websites I am trying to access so must be my connection.
I do not see anything in the service status feeds about it though.
12 REPLIES 12
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: DNS Issues

What websites can you not access???
PunKrocker
Grafter

seanbranagh
Grafter

This is the strange bit. It is all the websites I host. eg.
http://www.paddysbarn.com
http://www.rossglasscountyfc.co.uk
I have the sites hosted on a resellers account with EukHost and can access them with IP addresses. The domains are registered with 123-reg.co.uk but the nameservers are with Eukhost. My freind with Virgin Media can acces the sites normally. The other strange thing is my own webserver in my house www.seanbranagh.net
I cannot access this through the domain either but I can through the IP. My friend also CANNOT access this. This domain is also registered with 123-reg.co.uk but unlike the other domains, the nameservers are also with 123-reg. I am confused as my PN connection is the only common thing in all of this, including when my friend is trying to access my home webserver.
PunKrocker-
I am also not able to access that link you included in your post.
TheChallenger
Grafter

I'm having similar problems with my redirected one like;
www.IamTheChellenger.com
and my corporate OWA email site
also the blog site www.uvmeblog.com
Seems this problem started happening sometime Friday pm
Any ideas? - The DNS Servers I use are:
DNS 1:  212.159.6.10   
DNS 2:  212.159.6.9
PunKrocker
Grafter

Quote from: seanbranagh

PunKrocker-
I am also not able to access that link you included in your post.

Dont know if its coincidence, but just changed to static IP and now I get the site I had problems with and also yours at 01:22.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: PunKrocker
http://www.flashget.com/index_en.htm

Ditto.
I've not been able to access the FG website for 2 days now. Definately a PN issue going on here...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
PunKrocker
Grafter

http://www.flashget.com/index_en.htm
Is ok here at 21:51, the changes here are now on a fixed IP, so is it a range of IP's that are not getting some sites?  Also using Open DNS settings, but had tried that already on its own.
Now on 212.159.12.xxx
7up
Community Veteran

I've been saying PN's DNS is dodgy for a long time. No-one else has ever admitted problems previously. It's about time some other people started to back up my statement..
I gave up trying to access the FG site - I downloaded the latest version from download.com instead. Unfortunately I don't like the new version as much as the classic version.
PunKrocker
Grafter

Have you tryed the OpenDNS DNS settings?
# 208.67.222.222
# 208.67.220.220
PunKrocker
Grafter

It seem to clear for me when my IP changed!  But that cannot be proved 100% without another ISP to try also!
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: PJ
Remain unconvinced the issues of this weekend are PlusNet DNS until someone starts posting nslookups from there and another provider to prove it. I've been a tech for long enough to know how easy it is to make an assumption and how much time you can waste trying to chase it down.

Thats down to you. Experience with PN has taught me that they are far more error prone that your tech experience will prove.
Have you not heard of the numerous times they've lost emails, allowed unauthorised access to customer records etc?
PN was ONCE a techy ISP who knew exactly what they were doing. Now they're focussed on one thing: Money. Service isn't important as it once was.
The only reason I'm still using them is because I can't be bothered having the same agro with another BB supplier like talktalk or orange. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't..
Not applicable

This post shows that at least part of the problem could be caused by 123 reg rather than PN. Wink