cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLink Router

hulls
Grafter

DLink Router

In January last year, PN very kindly supplied me with a nice new DLink router, which has been fine, but in the last month or so, the wifi connection seems to have become very flaky.  The router will disconnect from wireless computers and then reconnect for some reason.
There have been no changes around the house to speak of.  It's set to autoscan for the channel, but it doesn't seem to matter what channel it finds.  I even tried to set it on one of the main channels, and it doesn't seem to make a difference,  OK naturally the number of networks in the area has risen in that time (there are 4 others showing at present), but in each case the signal is weak or virtually non-existent.
Can I do anything to improve the matter, or is the router failing already.
John
17 REPLIES 17
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: DLink Router

Have you tried a cold reboot switch it off and on again in the last week or two?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

hulls
Grafter

Yep  Undecided
VileReynard
Hero

What about signal strength indications at your various PC's?
There are a number of measures that can be taken to increase signal strength - some very cheap, others are expensive!
E.g. try raising your router by a few feet; check all external aerials are vertical.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yes, from personal experience with my router I recently found that raising it up on to a higher shelf actually improved the signal strength by roughly 20% without actually moving it any closer to the PC. I would also advise setting a channel in the top end of the numbers available like 12 or 13.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
hulls
Grafter

Thanks
I'll try those things (I did set it to 13 before, and totally lost wifi.  I had to go on using a cable, and change it back  :-\.)
John
VileReynard
Hero

I think 13 is illegal in USA, Japan but allowed in Europe Tongue
In any case 11 doesn't clash with the 3 allowed channels (if allocated properly)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

hulls
Grafter

Thanks for that - I've manually set it to channel 11 (let's see how that works)
John
hulls
Grafter

Still losing signal all over the house from time to time.  It's been fine up until the last couple of months, now every machine seems to lose wifi signal.  As I said, there are a lot more wifi networks around now (I looked a couple of days ago and there were 3 on channel 1, including mine, 3 on channel 6 and 3 on channel 11)  It's very irritating to lose signal every couple of minutes.  Sometimes it reconnects on its own, and other times I have to manually reconnect it.
In that it's just started happening, could it be something failing in the router?
John
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

hulls,
You could always try/borrow another router. It could be that the wireless side of the router has ceased to function properly.
I have come across this with several customers' routers where the wireless side has failed in this way - the only solution was to replace the router.
Brian
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
hulls
Grafter

Thanks Mr Chips
I was thinking it could be something like that, although the router's just over a year old.  I'd consider an N router, but it would mean replacing usb dongles at the same time.  I suppose I could always ask nice old PN to sign me up for another year and see if they'll let me have another router.  Roll_eyes
John
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

John,
If you do purchase an N Router, you will not have to replace your USB dongles - they will still work with an N router, albeit at the G rate.
Regards,
Brian
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
stallan
Grafter

Try using inSSIDer (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider) to check what other channels are being used around you - then try selecting something different.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Its a relatively common problem with wireless router/modems; I've got two previous m/cs in the cupboard (one by Buffalo,one by Corega) which still work perfectly via ethernet but the wireless has failed. The symptons with both were random loss of signal and disconnections.
hulls
Grafter

Nice to know about the N router - thanks.
I used Netstumbler to check what other networks were around, and their channels. but most of them must be on auto, because the channels change regularly.  As I understand it, the best channels to use are 1, 6 & 11, and as I said earlier on one occasion there were nine networks identified (3 on each of those channels)  Undecided
John