Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLM Trial -- Whats happening??

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: DLM Trial -- Whats happening??

HI itsme,
A line will seem stable while it's being banded because it's not syncing high enough for the faults to occur. Chances are if the banding is lifted then the line would become unstable again.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Force9Original,
[quote=Force9Original]Would a line that syncs below fault threshold fall into the criteria
That would be raised as a fault immediately.
Jojo Smiley
Force9Original
Grafter

Then ticket # 38505892 maybe of use  Wink
thanks f9o
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Force9Original,
I've passed that over to one of the guys who deals with that. He's going to take a look at your account and see if it's viable.
Jojo Smiley
grahamt
Rising Star

As someone whose broadband experience was vastly improved by being on the DLM trial (and then staying on a fixed profile afterwards) I find it very disappointing that other people are being denied the benefits of escaping the DLM. My noise margin regularly drops from 6 to around 0 at night and I'm sure my line throws up lots of errors during the hours of darkness. I used to be hit hard by the DLM and by banding. But now I sync (on ADSL2+) at speeds between 7800 and 8250 and have an IP profile between 6500 and 7150. Although this still isn't optimal for an attenuation of 38, it's decent. My line varies between resyncing every couple of days and staying up for weeks at a time (currently 16 days and counting at 8213 downstream). If I were still on the DLM I'm sure my IP profile would be significantly lower for much of the time.
I'm sure lots of people would benefit from being taken out of the DLM rollercoaster.
Graham
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
A line will seem stable while it's being banded because it's not syncing high enough for the faults to occur. Chances are if the banding is lifted then the line would become unstable again.

Interleaving is also used to make a line stable. So if I had a choice to move to the next band or to have interleaving switched off I would go for the former. It seem that the DLM favour removing Interleaving not increasing the speed.
Force9Original
Grafter

Now thats good CS  Smiley
Line added to 21cn DLM override trial.
Profile hard fixed to
WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 6dB Downstream, UC

Thanks Jojo & Alex !
Grafter

Any updates re the outcome of this trial? I am still in the happy position I was when trial finished i.e. no DLM control over sync speed, SNR set to 3dB and able to control SNR using DMT tool. I am still syncing reliabley at 11M. Big advantage is that following some interruption/poor sync a reset will connect at 11M and not a lower speed under the control of DLM with a wait of several days for it to recover.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi 32110,
We're still able to request these profiles in certain circumstances. I'm not sure whether they're still classing it as a trial. Even if they were to end it, you wouldn't lose what you have now.
Jojo  Smiley
maximod
Grafter

Jojo,
Under what circumstances are needed to opt out of the dlm control ?
Would i be considered for this ?
Paul.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Paul,
There's many different things to take into account, not necessarily a criteria, just more about whether we think it would help. DLM is still in place, it just means the line can't be banded,so you will always sync at the highest possible rate.
Jojo Smiley
maximod
Grafter

Does this mean if i have the banding removed i could do more testing here of different modems (many connect/disconnects),without my profile suffering ?
I have always limited my testing here to try and avoid this problem,but as i have sync'd 2500-2600kb,i would like to be able to test more often as i am sure i would eventually be able to get my sync above 2800kb and get me on to the next profile of 2500kb.
For instance i have various firmwares to try as well as some filter designs i have made,being able to test these without fear of problems with banding would be great.
Paul.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: maximod
Does this mean if i have the banding removed i could do more testing here of different modems (many connect/disconnects),without my profile suffering ?

Yes, there is that. Just remember, though, that a low sync event could cause the profile to drop, in which case it would still take the normal time at  a higher sync rate to raise up again.
Jojo Smiley
maximod
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
So if i have got this right, if my banding was removed, my connection would always connect for a target snr of 6db regardless of how many connects/disconnects ?
But my profile could be reduced if i were to sync lower than the required profile (as it would do normally) ?
Thanks,
Paul.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Paul,
Yes, the fixed profile means that every reconnection would start at the target SNR but it is still subject to profile changes in the normal way.
Jojo Smiley