cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLAN Disconnecting DSL

mrtim

DLAN Disconnecting DSL

I've been using wifi with my TG585 v7 router successfully for several months, with the occasional DSL connection loss. Recently I required faster speeds on the network so switched to DLAN, specifically the Devolo 200AV system. Since using this my DSL connection drops many times a day, in some cases several times an hour. I see this as no coincidence , and wondered if anyone had suffered the same, or had any tips.
There's about two meters in between the router and dlan device so as to avoid interference if that were to be the issue...
10 REPLIES 10
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: DLAN Disconnecting DSL

When you say your DSL connection drops, do you mean you lose sync with the exchange, or you lose your ppp session?
Have you turned off the wireless on the 585 if you are no longer using it, or if it's still being used on another channel away from the DLAN channels?
mrtim

Thanks for the reply. The router reports that "Your DSL line is not synchronized." so I guess I lose sync rather than anything else. Wireless is still on as I have other devices that use this. Interestingly I've been out for the day and the reported up time on the router was 11 hrs, but having sat down to use the Internet i.e. data started passing through again I lost the DSL sync again within 5 mins and had to press the reconnect button in the router control panel.
Anotherone
Champion

I guess we better look at your ADSL Router Linestats http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php may help if you don't know how to access them, but I expect you do.
In view of your problems better have the error stats as well as DS and US line figures.
mrtim

Uptime: 0 days, 18:39:57
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,584
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 23.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 31.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 18,488
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 35
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 30
Better to have as much info as possible. Many thanks for your input.
Anotherone
Champion

Perhaps surprisingly those stats in themselves show nothing untoward. If you read this thread again tonight can you post the currrent stats. If you don't, do you know how much the SNRM drops late evening?
mrtim

As you can see it went down again.
Uptime: 0 days, 2:44:15
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,616
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 6.0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2,182
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
Anotherone
Champion

Yep, annoying. Can you tolerate going back to your old arrangement for a day or two? It may be total coincidence that a problem has arisen, at least you'd know if it was the new set up or not.
mrtim

OK I've been running on wifi again for a few days but still experience disconnection every day or so.
Uptime: 0 days, 0:04:39
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,616
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 28.00
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 6.5
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 38
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
mrtim

Just gone down again  Cry
Anotherone
Champion

I get the impression that whilst you've been back using the Wireless, the drops were pretty much as before you tried the 200AV system and using this system just made things worse? This tends to suggest that interference may be the cause.
Your line stats look good, so we better check the basics first.
Listen to your phone line, can you hear any crackling or other intermittent noises? Do you recall hearing any in the past?
Do you have extension sockets and are you plugged into one or are you plugged into the master? If you have fixed extensions and wiring, do you know if the bell wire is still connected?
If you have extension wiring, can you plug into the test socket which is behind the removeable lower front part of the master linebox. Be careful not to pull out any extension wiring connected to the removeable faceplate. Check also that all extensions are dead with the faceplate removed.
Also look to see if any wires are connected to terminals 3&4 on the rear of the removeable faceplate.
You'll need to stay connected to the test socket like this for a while to see if this stabilises the situation.
If there is no change, try another filter. If still no change try another modem/router.