Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIR-615 and DD-WRT

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

DIR-615 and DD-WRT

I have noticed that the WiFi had stopped working on my DD-WRT DIR 615 router.  No worries, I brought out a old net gear WNR1000 supplied by PN and plugged it in to the 615.  Expecting it to work it didn't via WiFi nor ethernet it says connected but can't reach google or any other site.  I connected my mac directly to the 615 as ethernet was working and same issues, connected to the net but can't reach any websites or internal addresses like my BT home hub where they all connect to.  My set up is
BT HUB 5  ---> SamKnows (internet is passed and reach websites on smart tv and PS3) ---> D-Link DIR 615 (internet connected and CAN'T reach websites) ---->  WNR1000 (connected to internet and CAN'T reach websites)
There is obviously a problem on the DD-WRT router where it's stopping the internet passthrough but still enabling internet but non actually.  If you load google it takes forever then eventually times out.
Anyone help?
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
18 REPLIES 18
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: DIR-615 and DD-WRT

What diagnostics can you offer? 
Can you access the DD-WRT web GUI?  Does it show that it has got a WAN address?  What do you mean that you could 'connect to the net but not websites' when you connected via ethernet?  Have you rebooted the 615?  Can you ping a website from the 615 (web GUI or telnet/ssh)?  What IP range is on the DD-WRT LAN on what IP range does the HH5 dish out?
Quote from: NorthEasterner
There is obviously a problem on the DD-WRT router where it's stopping the internet passthrough but still enabling internet but non actually.  If you load google it takes forever then eventually times out.

Haven't got a clue what this means I'm afraid...
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I can access the DD-WRT GUI fine by cable.
How do I telnet to the DD-WRT and find WAN address and IP range?
Sorry  Crazy
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
pwatson
Rising Star

The WAN address is shown on the top right hand side of the web GUI.  The LAN IP range is whatever the DHCP server is set to...
What are you using the 615 to do for you in your setup?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

WAN IP is 192.168.1.80
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.1.254
DHCP is off
The operating mode is ROUTER
Dynamic routing interface - WAN
Static Routing interface - LAN & WLAN
Port setup in networking are all set to default
EoIP all disabled
-----------------------
After new post you posted
------------------------
I am using it for guest hotspot system so it has a landing page.  I also get donations for running it by neighbours.
DHCP Server is disabled as the hub 5 does the DHCP
pwatson
Rising Star

Has this ever worked?  Looks like you've plugged the WAN port of the 615 to a LAN port on the HH? 
You're going to have to explain your setup in a lot more detail I'm afraid - My crystal ball is turned off for Christmas Smiley
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I thought the DIR 615 would just work as a router if I plugged it into the HH5.  And turn off DHCP server.
If I factory reset DIR 615 DDWRT, can you guide me through setting it up as an access point for LAN whilst its connected to my HH5?
pwatson
Rising Star

There's an example here but I've never used the guest hotspot feature.
My question about if it has ever worked is important though?  If it has worked, what have you changed?
With the 615 plugged up as it is, you are using it as a router so the HH DHCP server will not be visible to clients on the 615 LAN...
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

So should I enable DHCP?
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

The internet is accessible and google loads on DIR 615.  Only problem now is that i've lost access to DIR 615's GUI  Embarrassed
Any way to get it back? When I try to access 192.168.1.1 I am presented a login box so I entered the credentials which I used when setting up but it doesn't recognize it and is invalid.  When I click cancel I am presented with a webpage in red saying
"401 Unauthorized.  Authorization required. please note that the default username is "root" in all newer releases"
Need to get back in so I can set up my hotspot (which I know how to do)
30FTTC06
Pro

Try.
User: root
Password: admin
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Nope I still get the error message spit back at me in my face.
Login details for  192.168.1.1:80
30FTTC06
Pro

Ok try.
The D-link's default login details are user "admin", password is blank.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I've tried that as well.
Running out of options here