cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current line speed 0.3Mb :(

rebeccabg
Dabbler

Re: Current line speed 0.3Mb :(

Hi @bmc. Thanks for the info. I actually meant the cost of ADSL (which we currently get free as an introductory offer) vs the cost of fibre, i.e. an extra £15 a month.

I know, I shouldn't be complaining about the cost of free broadband!

rebeccabg
Dabbler

Thank you for translating the stats, @Townman

So I was looking into the FTTP trial and turns out we already have the ENT (pictured below), I think? If so, are we still eligible for the trial @HarryB?

openreach box.jpg

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

If you have that I can't see any reason why not but @HarryB will check tomorrow

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

You've probably made several people very jealous by finding an ONT box in your house!!!

PlusNet will tell you about whether you can join the trial. At this time your contract will still apply (I'm guessing) but when it comes to an end you'll have a choice. FTTP doesn't need a phone so if you don't need a phone you'll be able to cancel that and just take the Internet service.

PlusNet charge a £2.50 surcharge for an internet only service but you'd have no line rental to pay!!!

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Yes you are definitely eligible for the trial and that's just what you need for FTTP, (it's actually called an ONT - Optical Network Terminator). If you have a suitable router with an Ethernet WAN connection and the ONT is still connected to the fibre network you could be up and running on FTTP very quickly.Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@rebeccabg wrote:
So I was looking into the FTTP trial and turns out we already have the ENT (pictured below), I think? If so, are we still eligible for the trial

Yep, it looks like it.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

WBC FTTP Upto 330 Upto 30 -- Available

Sign up over at http://trials.plus.net and once we place your order with BT, the service should activate (in theory) within 1 working day.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Gandalf What router is used by PlusNet for FTTP? I assume from the first post that the OP is a recent new customer but on ADSL so not sure what router would have been supplied. Does the Hub 1 have an Ethernet Wan port to connect to the ONT?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Yeah, we'd send out a Hub One.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rebeccabg
Dabbler

Thanks, everyone, I've applied for the trial

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@rebeccabg wrote:

Hi @bmc. Thanks for the info. I actually meant the cost of ADSL (which we currently get free as an introductory offer) vs the cost of fibre, i.e. an extra £15 a month.

I know, I shouldn't be complaining about the cost of free broadband!

How does what you've got (stable service not the odd recorded highest speed) compare which what was estimated?  You might blag some deal on doing the upgrade on the basis that BT are not capable of delivering the estimated speed over ADSL.

You might not get far, but it is worth an ask ... however looking at a net cost to you equation - if you do not need the phone line you could try to negotiate ditching the phone line without ETCs being taken (due to ADSL not delivering the goods).  So that's £18 pcm saved on the phone line, £15 pcm for the fibre FTTP service plus £2.50 for not having a phone line ... leaves you 50p pcm better off!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@rebeccabg wrote:

Thanks, everyone, I've applied for the trial

While I understand that there has already been a response to your trial application, I'm looking over this now as it's strange that it's advised there's no record of FTTP being installed previously, considering you've found an ONT in the property.

EDIT: Surprisingly, there's no ONT on the list when selecting existing ONT at your address Sad

If you could respond to the Ticket with preferred dates for an install, we'll get an order placed for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
rebeccabg
Dabbler

Yeah it's odd. Not going to be as simple as we thought. I believe the previous owners were with BT so they should know about it.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@rebeccabg wrote:
Not going to be as simple as we thought.

While I can't make any guarantees, what I'm hoping will happen is a survey and they'll just switch it on.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
rebeccabg
Dabbler

@Townman, they gave us a minimum guaranteed speed of 0.5Mb when we signed up, which they are achieving.

I asked about dropping the phone line but they wouldn't refund it as we paid the year upfront (to save money!).

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Try arguing that the phone line was only required for the ADSL service which is not achieving the forecast 0.5Mbps CONSISTENTLY!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.