cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Line Speed

mikehvy
Dabbler

Current Line Speed

Can someone explain how "Current Line Speed" works.
My line was upgraded to ASDL 2+ last December which has the benefit of the 88% profile instead of the 3 day wait of ASDL max. My line is prone to the odd disconnect which can result in a lower sync. During the recent stormy weather I had to unplug the router because the connection became unstable resulting in a lower current line speed, however, turning the router back on this morning  the current line speed is still well below the IP profile.
This line has recently reset back to a 6db snr from the previous 12db, is this as a result of the new Plusnet network? . Being on a 6db snr has not resulted in more instability so I'm enjoying a higher sync speed. I have tested the line overnight and the margin varies up to 4 db at most. The disconnections will occur whatever the noise ratio is so I'm hoping the DLM does not intervene.
5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Current Line Speed

The current line speed should match the IP profile shown on a BT speedtest. This can take a few hours to sync up.
This line has recently reset back to a 6db snr from the previous 12db, is this as a result of the new Plusnet network?

Your line hasn't moved to the new network.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mikehvy
Dabbler

OK Chris, so the DLM must have reset the snr despite the disconnections.
The current line speed has now changed from 2.4mb to 3.7mb however I'm still seeing no increase in throughput.  It took about 2 hours for the CLS to change to match the IP profile.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Does the end user need to disconnect/reconnect at PPP to get the new Plusnet profile in operation?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

yes they do
mikehvy
Dabbler

I will try, as you say next time, with the PPP  disconnect, reconnect. 
As it happens there was another loss of sync this afternoon due to a heavy shower. It re synced a bit lower resulting in IP profile of  3.5mb and a matching throughput., so it has sorted itself.
The current line speed has still to change showing 3.7mb when it should be 3.5mb.
I still wonder why the TSNR moved back to 6db from 12db but I'm pleased it has.