cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Line Speed please !

Anonymous
Not applicable

Current Line Speed please !

At around 14:00 today, Openreach were in my local cabinet and seem to have interfered with my line, causing my modem to be syncing at 11Mbps and with increased latency.

Now having rebooted the modem, it's syncing at 24192Kbps which is typical for what it should be, the latency has returned to normal, the BT IP profile is currently 21.34Mbps, but speed tests are showing around 15.8Mbps instead of the usual 20.8Mbps.

Why has Plusnet removed the "Current Line Speed" from the Members Centre, and wasted my time having to start this topic just of find out whether my line is being restricted by the Plusnet profile, when for the last thirteen years I've been able to check it myself whether the "Current Line Speed" has caught up with the changes in "BT IP profile", or whether it has become stuck at a low value - as often happens.

Angry

9 REPLIES 9
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Current Line Speed please !

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for getting in touch - I suspect that the "Current Line Speed" info may have moved during the most recent Member Centre amendments. I'll have a dig around my own account and see if I can locate this for you.

In the interim, I'm pleased that your speed has shifted back to what you'd expect following the BT work. If there's anything we can assist with going forward, just drop us a line.

Best wishes

Dave

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

You have to mention “connection profile” now, as advised here https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/IP-Profile-page-link/m-p/1623342#M21167
That's RPM to you!!
Myasophie1980
Dabbler

Mine is 4.40!!!! 😱😱😱😱
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Myasophie1980

Thanks for getting in touch.

I can see that my colleague Lewis has just responded via your original thread - if you could continue to respond solely to that thread we'll be happy to help.

Best wishes

Dave

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RandallFlagg wrote:

I suspect that the "Current Line Speed" info may have moved during the most recent Member Centre amendments. I'll have a dig around my own account and see if I can locate this for you.

Hi @RandallFlagg  did you get anywhere with finding the new location of the Plusnet "Current Line Speed"/"Connection profile"  page in the Member Centre ?

Unfortunately Openreach are continuing fibre upgrade work in my area and appear to be causing havoc with my connection (as can be seen below) and my connection sync and SNR is up and down like a Yo-yo.

In addition the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test  is also playing up, and I can't see their IP profile at the moment.

I repeatedly need an up-to-date and accurate value for the Plusnet "Current Line Speed" to update my router's "FQ_CoDel" traffic shaper parameters in order to keep my connection latency within acceptable limits.

Normally this isn't a problem as my connection SNR and sync barely moves, but with the current interference I am frequently needing to manually update my router config to maintain good internet performance.

[edit] lost connection while composing this reply !

This was yesterday -

My Broadband Ping - purleigh IPv4 21CN ADSL2+

and today - My Broadband Ping - purleigh IPv4 21CN ADSL2+

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Anonymous

I've checked with @Gandalf on this one and it transpires that the speed information in question was removed some time ago (although some users kept the direct link and could access it accordingly). The page with the speed info has now been removed entirely as it is due to be replaced with a newer version in the near future. I've checked your profile from this side and you're on the speed profile from this side - @Gandalf has advised he's taking care of everything else in terms of your existing fibre query.

Best wishes

Dave

Anonymous
Not applicable

So more Openreach work on nearby cables today, and I've changed to a higher quality regulated DC power supply on my modem in an attempt to improve stability (and gained around 850Kbps on the max attainable rate).  As a consequence my traffic shaper is again out of step so I need the current Plusnet profile to get low latency on my connection.

Currently download sync = 24071Kbps

BT IP profile = 18.9Mbps  (which is a bit low for the above sync)

So what is my line's Plusnet "Current Line Speed" now ?,

I'm guessing about 15.8Mbps, as speedtests barely reach 15Mbps

It was so much easier when I could look it up myself using -

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Crazy3

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @Anonymous,  Your profile is currently set to 78000 above your sync rate of 24071Mbps.

So you should be getting near on the sync rate speeds.

You should also be hearing back from @Gandalf, regarding your fibre query later today.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update.  Thumbs_Up

That explains why I'm seeing packet loss and latency differently than its usual rock solid state.  Roll_eyes

While the Plusnet profile is 78M, I'll use the BT IP profile to update my router's traffic shaper.

Thanks and have a great weekend !.  Cool_smiley