Curious

My router stats have been the same for years and never alter much
noise margin downstream: 6 db
output power upstream: 19 db
attenuation downstream: 47 db
Upstream Speed: 448 kbps
Downstream Speed: 4672 kbps
My actual connection is always around 1500kbps download and 350kbps upload
Does this look right? Why is my connection throttled all of the time?

14 REPLIES 14
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Curious

could be that your Rwin wants setting up, What operating system are you on?  see here
also do you know what your profile is? see https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Not much wrong with your upload speed, 380 is the max at 448 sync
isomer

Thanks for the reply.
Using XP Home on two also on Laptop, one using  XP Pro and another Ubuntu. Profile says 1750 Kbps but has been lower. I've fiddled with Rwin etc in the past  never made any difference. Changed routers a couple of times and that never made any difference either. Had a moan about it once but no one seemed interested. I'm not too bothered about it but as I said "curious".
pierre_pierre
Grafter

there is hardly any one on at the moment, must be a bank holiday or something, when the regulars come on they can tell you what to expect from your stats
MickKi
Grafter

With a sync rate of 4672 kbps you should have an IP profile of 4000, which represents your maximum theoretical download speed.  Give or take some packet headers you should all things being equal see download speeds of around 3,700 kbps.  The lower download speeds of 1500 kbps that your report cannot be a matter of throttling, especially if this is the case during off peak hours.
Since the Plusnet profile shows only 1750 Kbps two things could be wrong:

• your Plusnet profile is stuck - this would be the case if a BT speedtest shows a higher profile, which for your sync rate should be 4000

• The BT IP profile is stuck at the BT exchange - it happens sometimes.

To find out if the BT Profile is stuck run a BT speedtest and check what is your IP profile shown in the test results.  Hopefully this will be 4000.  If not raise a ticket for a stuck BT IP profile with Plusnet and they will place a call with BTw to reset it.
If the BT speedtest shows your IP profile as 4000 then the Plusnet profile is stuck.  Ring them and ask them to give it a nudge.
HTH.
isomer

F9 and BTSpeedtest both say 1750. Been there before F9 says it's BT problem BT don't give a sh*** . As I said I'm curious as the router stats are solid, always have been. To me it looks like throttling as I would expect a faster connection than I get. I only queried it because someone I know with F9 dropped their package to a lower one with crap download limits and their  connection immediately shot up from 1750 to 5000 odd. Probably only a coincidence though as why on earth would an ISP do a thing like that.
MickKi
Grafter

You would do better PM-ing one of the very helpful Plusnet stuff who frequent these forums.  They will know exactly what they need to do.  On a working day my profile shot up less than half an hour after raising a ticket, followed by useful advice from these forums and a PM.  Wink
isomer

As I said I've been here before and queried it with F9 who were less than helpful. I will probably move to another ISP if and when Sky or O2 get their equipment in my exchange. I was just curious because the figures didn't add up. I'm not too bothered as I'm a silver surfer on pension and have the patience of a saint so the slow downloads are not such a big problem. I just thought that after ten years or so with F9 I didn't feel like I was was still using a 56k modem. Why on earth would cr*p be censorerd?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Do raise a speed fault ticket as it is wrong - the BT speedtest has confirmed this - and it looks like your profile may be stuck. Do it via http://faults.plus.net
If you don't get anywhere with this then raise it again here and one of the comms team will pick it up and get it sorted. PlusNet are much more switched on with regard to speed related problems now so you should get a better response.
isomer

Thanx for all the replies. I will  try reporting it but I won't hold my breath for an improvement. I will be told that the line will only support what I'm getting. I was just "curious" why the router stats don't agree with that. Router at 4704kbps this morning  and download speed soared to 1773 kbps.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

please try, it does work, even on a Bank Holiday
MickKi
Grafter

I had a low sync event on Thursday night which dropped my IP Profile from 6500 to 5500.  More than three days later I am still at an IP Profile of 5500.  Had a word with CS which contradicts previous advice I had been given in these forums (can't find where just now).  I was told by CS that I should leave the router switched on continuously for at least three days - no resync's.  Previous forums advice was that it does not matter if you reboot your router as long as you continue to get a high sync rate - three days later should get you a higher profile.  On this occasion it clearly hasn't.
So, if the latest advice from CS is true (I am testing this as we speak and will report back in three days) isomer may be better off leaving the router switched on continuously for 24 hours - at his significantly lower IP Profile compared to his sync speed 12 hours would probably be sufficient, but better if you leave it on for more than 24 hours and resync again.  With regards to resync'ing I suggest that you login in the router control panel and click the button that says disconnect.  Give it 15 minutes or so and then reconnect.
Tell us if this fixed it - in 24+ hours.  Smiley
Santiago
Grafter

MickKI
My profile dropped from 3000 to 1500 a couple of weeks ago.
CS told me to switch off / switch on  the router every couple of days (always). They increased my profile to 3000 and I was rebooting the router every couple of days.
Then the profile went down to 1500, so left the router on for a week and then rebooted the router. I have done this for three weeks and my profile has only just risen to 1750.
Doesn't seem to be an exact science this does it?
MickKi
Grafter

It's not actually, but it has changed in the last year or so and also CS staff may find it difficult to bottom out what the problem might be when customers report that "there's nothing wrong with their line", or "nothing has changed".  Some of course may need additional training . . .
I just checked again and this is as much as I can figure out:
Percentage Increase		Period before the BRAS
in IP Headline Rate profile changes begin
--------------------------------------------------
Greater than   To   Hrs
============================================
250     3100 4
40     250 12
20     40 24
15     20 48
10     15 72
8     10 96
0     8 120

The above time periods before an increase in the IP Profile kicks in imply a number of caveats which seem less clear.  This is my understanding:

• All things being equal if you stay connected without dropping the line, your profile will increase to that corresponding to your new sync rate when the time period shown above expires.

• If you resync before the end of the time period and get a higher sync rate, then your time period may shorten AND the time you have been waiting already counts towards the completion of the new time period.  This is the best of both worlds.

• If you resync and get a lower lower sync rate the clock resets and you start waiting again for the corresponding time period as per the table above - which could be longer than your previous time period depending on your IP Profile percentage change.

• If you resync and get the same sync rate then the clock resets and you start waiting again for the same time period.

I did not manage to obtain a change over the last three days because the clock was reset every time I resync'ed at the same or lower rate.  Sad
This is how it worked with me:
Low sync event at say 6800 kbps dropped me from my previous 6500 IP Profile to a new 5500 profile.  I resync at 7616.  This represents a (7616-6800)/6800x100 = 12% increase compared to the previous profile.  According to the table above I should have jumped back up to the corresponding IP Profile of 6500 kbps after 72 hours.  However, I resync'ed before then and obtained the same sync rate.  The clock was reset and I had to wait for another 3 days . . .  If I continue to resync in less than 3 days from that point in time and get the same or lower sync speeds, then I am in for another 3 days waiting.  Cry
Now, I wouldn't like to try to explain the above to an irate customer if I were working at the CSC of an ISP, especially if there are more people waiting on the line getting more and more annoyed because they are waiting for me to finish my explanation . . .
Hope this helps.
James
Grafter

Morning,
I'm sorry I hadn't seen this thread sooner - joys of the long weekend Smiley
Isomer - I don't think that you have a stuck profile.  One of BT Systems shows you as having a resync at 2016Kbps on Sunday, hence why the IP Profile of 1750Kbps is being applied.
As you're currently syncing at 3296Kbps, this should hopefully pick up in a day or so.