cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create one network to share files, two routers though?

vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Create one network to share files, two routers though?

Hi all, thought I'd ask here as some seem very knowledgeable about networks, etc.
I would like to "convert" my existing network setup to allow file/folder sharing to all connected PCs/Netbooks/Laptops.
Let me explain.  For years I've used a an Origo ASR 8400 adsl router wired to two or three PCs.  Around christmas last year I purchased a new HD TV and Bluray player, which ideally needed access to the internet for updates and in the case of the Bluray for BD Live,  Iplayer, etc.  So I bought a pair of homeplug devices to carry the network signal and where the TV/Bluray player is added in an ASUS RTN11 wireless router to act as a switch and wireless access point. 
Since then I've added a SnakeOS powered usb server into the mix and thats where my problem started.  I can access the server from laptops/netbooks connected to the ASUS router either wired or wireless, but cannot do the same if connected to the ADSL router.
I should mention that the Origo has now been replaced with a BT homehub 1 flashed with Thomson TG7 firmware to allow use on Plusnet, as the Origo seemed a little unstable after the change from fixed 2Mb BT package to Plusnet upto 8Mb earlier this week.
Over the past few months I have tried to configure the two routers to work together as one network, but have failed miserably.  Have found the ASUS will often just fail to allow access to its control panel if I try to alter its IP address to the same range as the old Origo or turn off its DHCP and would then require resetting.
Have tried again today to alter settings on the ASUS, but again failed.  Thought it might have worked now as the address range for the Homehub is close to that of the ASUS.
Can anyone help?
For information the IP address ranges for the devices are
Homehub (192.168.1.254) - 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253 and subnet 255.255.255.0
Asus (192.168.1.1) - 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 and subnet 255.255.255.0
Origo (10.0.0.2) - 10.0.0.4 to 10.0.0.15 and subnet 255.0.0.0
Thanks in advance

Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
8 REPLIES 8
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Create one network to share files, two routers though?

OK first you need to ensure that only ONE dhcp server is running.
You need BOTH routers to be on the same subnet - 192.168.1.x/24 is fine
You need the wireless router to be using dhcp not fixed ip and to get its ip from the bt hub (OR static with the gateway as the bt hub)
So you need
bt hub - dhcp server x.x.x.64-253/24 with a STATIC reserved for the wireless hub or make it x.x.x.60 (example)
the wireless router to do dhcp pass through - should be an option on it- and one of its ports connected to the bt hub to allow it to get an address from it.
All the equipment gets ip's from the bt hub ONLY.
Your snake server needs the gateway set to the bt hub if you have it as a static or dhcp is fine (I have one connected to my hub)
vultura
Rising Star

Thanks for reply.
Should have mentioned the Snake is connected to the ASUS router.
Have just tried changing the LAN IP for the Asus to 192.168.1.60 and as per usual once you click on finish (to save and reboot) it doesn't then do anything.  I was able to turn off dhcp ealier today (before creating this thread) and change the range it gives out, but it didn't get me anywhere.
For info on Asus unit see - http://www.asus.com/Networks/WiFi_Networking/RTN11/ and manuals, etc - http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N11&p=11&s=2&hashedid=g0gvepWhfb5EgWTc
As you can probably tell Networks aren't my thing....
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Are you connecting the ASUS to the homeplug using the WAN port ? that won't work.
Assuming you only need 3 devices connected to it ( TV/Bluray/Snake) then connect it to the homeplug via the spare LAN port. Then configured as you have it ( 192.168.1.60/DHCP disabled) it will just be acting as a switch and everything should work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

vultura
Rising Star

The ASUS wired ports are fully populated - snake/tv/bluray/xbox360.
I guess one option now would be to replace the ASUS with a switch, then turn on the homehub wireless, even though its signal will be weaker and its speed lower.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

The ASUS wired ports are fully populated - snake/tv/bluray/xbox360.

but do they ALL need to be connected all the time. Could you not use 1 port for say the TV and something else and just connect the appropriate one when you need it ? or as you say just get a switch. You could use that as well as the ASUS and retain the wireless of course.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

knowdice
Rising Star

I think I would do it slightly differently...
Use two networks, say 192.168.1.0 & 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0
Configure the BT box with a fixed LAN address - 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0 (I always make gateways the highest address...)
Turn off DHCP on the BT box.
Give the WAN port of the ASUS a fixed address of 192.168.1.1 connect this to one of the LAN ports on the BT box
Connect your Blu-ray via the homeplug to the second LAN port on the BT box and give it an IP address of 192.168.1.2
Give the ASUS a LAN address of 192.168.2.254 255.255.255.0 and turn on DCHP (range/scope is up to you) but say 1 to 20
Devices (except Blu-Ray) will pick up their IP addresses via ASUS DHCP with a default gateway of 192.168.2.254 you can increase the number of ports on the ASUS LAN network by adding an extra switch.
You may need to add a static address in the BT box in order to tell it how to get back to the 192.168.2.0 network - not sure how you do that on that device, but Google may tell you.
Downside is double NAT and does BT HH 1 support static routes  Huh

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I would get a small hub/switch and connect it to the homeplug at the tv end. Then plug the tv&br etc into it there by freeing some ports on the asus.
vultura
Rising Star

Thanks for replies.
Did try one or two things, ended up with it kinda working, but wireless speed was impacted. 
Have reset everything how it was for now.
One other thought I had was to use both wired and wireless connection on the PC upstairs to allow access to both routers, to give internet from wired and NAS access from wireless.