Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of questions

cal1
Dabbler

Couple of questions

Hey.
I play Counterstrike Source, since moving to plusnet i have had a couple of problems. Firstly i get random lag spikes which rocket my ping for a couple of seconds, which if u play fps games (especially competitivley) its a nightmare. These happen several times a day.
Another problem im getting is certain servers (on CSS) are unplayable as my ping is frozen at about 1000. The strange thing about this problem is that its random servers, and i dont mean 1 or 2 servers, its about 50% of servers i join.
Ive played css for several years, so i know a lot about it, i know known problems in server configs that can crash peoples games etc. Nothing in these configs can cause these crashes because i have tested it heavily. Ive tried different server hosts, different configs etc, and my conclusion is that the servers which cause this huge latency is completely random. On some servers my ping is fine but i lose connection to the server after 30 seconds or so, again this seems to be completely random. There are also many servers that do not display these problems (apart from the lag spike one) so therefore it cant be my internet dropping or losing connection.
I have had several friends try things out for me on their ISPs and they have no problems connecting to servers that i have these problems on.
As for my broadband package i am on option 3. Which says for heavy use, multiple users and gaming. With this im sure i shudnt really be getting any problems.
Also, ive made sure im the only one using the internet when i have tested all this, therefore the lagspikes etc cant be to do with other people using the internet/downloading. I have nothing running in the background and i have not hit my usage limit. My computer has been scanned a million times for viruses and my security is up to date, the chances of a virus is very very low, especially since i have reformatted recently.
Although my old ISP was rubbish is so many ways, these problems were non existant. Im almost 100% its something to do with plusnet and not to do with my line/pc.
Any more information u need just ask.
Cheers Smiley
3 REPLIES 3
James
Grafter

Re: Couple of questions

Hiya Smiley
I've just run some checks on your telephone line and it looks like you have something called interleaving turned on.  Interleaving is something that we have turned on by default - it improves stability at a small cost to your latency, normally by about 20/30ms.
Looking at your line, there's no obvious errors, and you're pretty close to the exchange, giving you a good quality of signal.  I'd be more than happy to get interleaving turned off for you, which should improve your ping times as well as slightly improving your sync speeds (the speed at which your router connects with the exchange).
Let me know and I'll get it done.
cal1
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick reply Jameseh Smiley
If u could turn it off for me that would be great thanks. Hopefully that will sort the problems Cheesy
Cheers
James
Grafter

Not a problem Smiley
I've placed the order for you and it should complete tomorrow morning.