cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could this be the answer to the PPPoE anomaly?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Could this be the answer to the PPPoE anomaly?

Quote from: nozzer
I'm running DMT with a Voyager 2110 Jim, how do you get it to identify the DSLAM chipset? ie what's the telnet command (if there is one).
This picture of DMT tool shows where the information used to be but it isn't there on my Netgear
Have a look at the screen pictures here Link to DMT translated
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh
There is still an element to ATM. 

If this is true, BT is more backwards than we thought, which is not a complement.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: grahamt
I take it all back! PPPoE *does* work for me.

it shouldn't be taken 'as red' that it will work for everyone, unfortunately.  PPPoE support  seems to be heavily dependant on the particular DSLAM/MSAN kit installed at the exchanges, so it would be hit and miss for some people.
Quote from: godsell4
Quote from: Jameseh
There is still an element to ATM. 

If this is true, BT is more backwards than we thought, which is not a complement.
SW.

There is  an element of backwards-compatibility here to be fair.  ATM works, and works well for the existing BT infrastructure.  Leaping into an entirely Ethernet solution would be a pretty drastic leap for the entire backhaul.  No doubt there will eventually be ethernet to the home, but for now the PPP uplink coupled with an ATM backhaul is very appropriate, at least until 21CN is more stable and the bugs have been ironed out.
B.