cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could someone take a look at my profile please?

agilefrog
Hooked

Could someone take a look at my profile please?

I had connection issues with my broadband (adsl2+) that was finally solved by a new router. As part of the trouble-shooting interleaving was switch on. However this seems to be playing havoc with Skype calls due to the latency added.

Could a kind Plusnet person switch off interleaving for me, and check everything else is ok with my connection?

Thanks

James

13 REPLIES 13
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Could someone take a look at my profile please?

Hi there.

I've placed a order to remove interleaving which will complete tomorrow.

Let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
agilefrog
Hooked

Thanks Matthew, appreciate it.

I've just done a BT Wholesale 3rd test and got the attached report, which indicates some issues - so it could be more than interleaving. Could someone have a look for me?

Many thanks

James

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi James. Our tests are showing your router in sync at 14mbps.

Was that test done using a wired or wireless connection?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
agilefrog
Hooked

Im connected wired direct to the router, yes I can see that sync speed at my end on the router stats, but only getting around 6mb on the pc speedtest. Its really odd! Win10 machine if that helps.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've increased the SNR from 3db to 6db which is likely to be the cause of the problem.

Let us know how your speed looks in about an hour or so.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
agilefrog
Hooked

Hi there,

It's still not great, Im getting 5.8 down and 0.3 up - voip calls are almost impossible due to breakup when I speak (received isnt that bad). I was getting a fairly solid 10 down and no voip issues until this started.

I've even tried a different router (and adsl filter), but no change.

I'm running cabled with the router plugged into the BT master socket.

Any ideas?

James

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Is wifi switched off / disconnected on the PC? Just because there’s a cable connected does not assure the WiFi is not being used if it’s present.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

agilefrog
Hooked

Yup, its off.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Lets check the basics please...

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

agilefrog
Hooked

Wow, thats quite a lot of homework 😉

Okay so, line test is fine - clear as a bell and working fine.

Router status attached, it seems to be syncing happily at around 12.5 meg down, 443 up

Current line speed from Plusnet profile 10.8mb

The results of the BT Wholesale test are attached to my 2nd post above.

HTH

agilefrog
Hooked

Well, thats strange - this morning all seems ok again!

Perhaps I had a dirty connection somewhere on the phone line, and making/remaking the connections as I was testing everything last night cleaned off the contacts? Either way, its good to be back working properly again!

Thanks all for your help/suggestions - much appreciated.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm glad to hear your connection is working again as it should be.

Let us know if further problems develop.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@agilefrog,

Yes looking at these issues does need a bit of effort.  Glad to hear that things look better, however I would be prepared for them to worsen again.  Things getting significantly better after no apparent fix are somewhat indicative of bad joints on the phone line. You might notice that performance follows the weather, not so good when its wet and miserable, better when it is warmer and the sun is shining.

Damp joints can cause issues.  The act of testing a line or using the phone can make such issues go away for while.

Thinking about next time (if there is one) the information being sought from the router is the xDSL (or sync) stats - on your router that might be 'behind' the SYNC button shown on the PPP session screen shot you posted.

It is essential that ALL of the information is provided contemporaneously - sync speed 'now' and a BT speed test done 'yesterday' (or even and hour ago) do not help inform what is happening.

Keep an ear out listening to the phone line nose REGULARLY.