cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cookie prompts from my own IP ???

Razer
Grafter

Cookie prompts from my own IP ???

Not sure if this is the right place, but as it's to do with my internet connection:
I'm currently trying out another browser (Pale Moon). All set up yesterday and all running fine. Today when I open the browser I get a series of about twenty cookie prompts from an IP address. When I check that address I find it's the one I'm currently assigned. Does anybody have any idea why I would get such prompts from my own IP address?
8 REPLIES 8
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Cookie prompts from my own IP ???

What page is the browser trying to open?  Has Pale Moon set a local file as your homepage?
Scrub that - It wouldn't explain why the cookies are from your WAN address
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Probably doesn't help but I use Pale Moon as my usual browser both on Plusnet at home and BT Business at work, I have never experienced cookie prompts from my own address.
What homepage is set in the browser?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Razer
Grafter

I have, like Firefox, set about:blank as the homepage, and when both start they are both set to use a blank page.
Razer
Grafter

I have managed to stop the cookie prompts by changing my settings in Pale Moon, which it transpires were slightly different to the settings I have in Firefox. For anyone else experiencing the same and who may come to read this, change the following settings:
Tools/Options/Privacy - In the History section, select Pale Moon (or Firefox) will: Use custom settings for history which expands further settings - Tick Accept cookies from sites - Accept third-party cookies: Never.
It was set to the default 'Always', hence the prompt. It doesn't, however, explain why I should be getting cookies from my own IP address precisely.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Did you ever see what info was being set in said cookies? It may hold the clue to where it's coming from.
That's RPM to you!!
Razer
Grafter

Only ever saw random characters on them.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What if anything do you get if you open your WAN IP address in a web browser?
You could also check for open ports on http://canyouseeme.org/ and use TCPView to see what's running on your computer.
Razer
Grafter

I get my router login page when I open my IP address in my browser. I already know from previous checking that my ports are stealthed. The typical view via TCPView of what's running is in the attached image.