cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract length, how long would you commit for?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Contract length, how long would you commit for?

I am going to when the three months is up Jim, Market three and all that
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

i am waiting to see if Plusnet come to their senses and junk the stupid 18 month rule if you don't want or need any of the extras (router, house move, etc.)
James
Grafter

Completely from a personal point of view, my broadband is on an annual contract and my mobile phone is on an 18 month contract (all contract with O2 now are I believe).
I rely on my mobile more than my broadband, and had no issues with the contract length.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

But you have the option of not taking an 18 month contract if you don't want a new all singing all dancing phone.
That is all we are asking for
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I got a new 12 month contract with O2 about 6 weeks ago, and at Christmas we put my mother in-law one of their 1 month simplicity contacts.
Phil
Edit:  Should have said that this is for my mobile contract.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

they have another two months in my case contract date 23rd.  Could use another router if is was a different one to the thompson, would go with my 2110  Grin Grin
Welcome back to the Land of the Brain Dead James, hope you can lighten it up a bit
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Now if there was a choice of routers.
I won't touch the Thompson with it's emasculated firmware - how about a Netgear DG834G v4 which fully supports DMT and Routerstats to help in diagnosing problems
The_10th
Grafter

Firstly, how did this Poll not get removed?  Wink
Secondly, only a month for the current ISP. Like others, I don't like PN's direction and believe BT are behind this in some shape or form.
I have BT phone but won't subscribe to their 12 Month contract. I like the ability to change and if that is a bit more costly then fine, at least I won't be tied down for a year or more until I can change. Moving quickly also allows me to take advantage of offers that become available.
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Completely from a personal point of view, my broadband is on an annual contract and my mobile phone is on an 18 month contract (all contract with O2 now are I believe).
I rely on my mobile more than my broadband, and had no issues with the contract length.

you can take your mobile with you if you move house and in todays climate its not uncommon for people to have to stop at friends ect in bettween the house move due to them not wanting to move in the first place.
this is why i think 18 month contracts on fixed lines that you just cant pick up and move easliy dont go down well with the punters.
Any way back on 12 months now :). only 1 an half months longer than when i changed from bby3 at discounted price
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: ASBO
[18 month contracts on fixed lines that you just cant pick up and move easliy

Ah but you can now. No charge on house moves.  Roll_eyes
pd
Grafter

I am on BBYW option 2 which is sometimes a little bit more than I need but it saves messing about buying extra GBs all the time.  I'm happy with it, so much so that I recently signed up for 12 months as there was a benefit for me to do so, £3 a month off and I had no intention of moving anytime soon.
At the end of the 12 months I will consider my commitment to PN paid.  If I then wanted to switch to one the new offerings I will not need a new activation, I will not need a new router (if I do I'll get one off ebay for a tenner), and I'm not really interested in the three months initial rate.  Being in a Market 2 area I will not benefit from the lower pricing.

I therefore consider one months notice entirely sufficient.  There is absolutely no way in this world that I would sign up to anything else particularly as the new packages are a lot less appealing than the BBYW that we have already.  Long may it reign!
My vote - One Month!
Spider
Grafter

For me my biggest concern with longer contracts is that I find that I am tied into a product that 12 months down the line is not suitable for my needs, especially considering the developments that are happening on the infrastructure and not least the products. I feel a lot is down to personal circumstances and how much risk you see with the longer contract. So a small amount over a longer period would not be a problem, but if that price doubled then you wouldn't entertain it.
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: pd
 There is absolutely no way in this world that I would sign up to anything else particularly as the new packages are a lot less appealing than the BBYW that we have already.  Long may it reign!
My vote - One Month!

Would you turn your nose up at  a 200Mbps broadband connection, no throttling, 500GB usage allowance for £1.20 per month on an 18 month contract?
pd
Grafter

A benefit to me - I'd have to consider it wouldn't I.
Spider
Grafter

I would be looking for the catch.