cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract length, how long would you commit for?

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Contract length, how long would you commit for?

It's not a simple question. For something costing £5 pm it might be worth taking a risk that would not be worth taking for £50 pm.
Also it would depend on how much one would save on switching to a long contract. If I were paying £15pm (monthly contract) and was offered something acceptable costing £5 pm on a 12 month contract  then I would be a winner if I stayed for more than  4 months.
It would also depend on one confidence that current levels of satisfaction would be maintained. I have no such confidence that will be the case in 12months+ since the BT takeover.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

In the past Ive paid extra specifically to go on a 1 month contract.
I got adsl in 2003. I had to pay for my adsl to be connected. Ive bought my own routers.
I've had to pay to upgrade speeds back in the days when a speed increase sometimes meant a a physical change at the exchange.
So if Ive been with an ISP for 6 years after having paid £ to be on a monthly contact, and never had a freebie connection, never had a free router..  I'd be pretty damn peed off if I moved from Premier to a new product and that meant a new 18 month contract.  I know too much about how the adsl market can soon change - no way would I ever tie myself up for 18 months.
For damn sure I'd tell them what to do - it would be MAC please.  Its a damn cheek and doesnt show any loyalty to existing customers. :mad:
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

...and that's one highly respected condemnation Cool
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Be3G
Grafter

It's certainly interesting looking at the results. Seems a lot of people are willing to go up to 12 months, but barely anyone would want to stretch to more than that... which is indeed exactly the way I feel too. I recently signed up to the 10GB + home phone deal which involved entering in to a 12 month contract, which I felt a bit uncertain about (knowing how quickly the ADSL market can change) but I felt it was just about worth it in order to get the considerable financial benefit. Entering in to an 18 month contract for no benefit though is well beyond what I'd be prepared to do at the moment.
Santiago
Grafter

I have been with with Plusnet for a few years already.
I had been considering a change to BBYW option 3 for more peak time usage allowance and would have been prepared to sign up for a 12 months to get the £3 discount.
As a result of the events of last week my confidence in plusnet's business model has been somewhat diminished. Now I am waiting to see what transpires next week before I make any decisions.
So as it stands today I would only have  a monthly contract and have voted accordingly.
geewizz
Grafter

I would happily sign up for 5 years if the price and conditions were right.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

IMHO, that is the height of silliness. ADSL is a SERVICE and NOT a Commodity. The Service you buy has to meet both YOUR needs and the service level that you thought you were buying.
Since there is no SLA in PlusNet's ADSL service contract, (IMHO), anybody signing up for such a long period, even if it were FREE would be a fool. Remember that it puts a marker on your line and prevents you taking your service forom elsewhere.
I did say IMHO .... twice!
Edit: Some wisdom from somebody even older than OldJim and me ... http://www.happychild.org.uk/nvs/cont/stories/aesopsfables/page0166.htm
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: Wheel_nut
IMHO, that is the height of silliness. ADSL is a SERVICE and NOT a Commodity. The Service you buy has to meet both YOUR needs and the service level that you thought you were buying.
Since there is no SLA in PlusNet's ADSL service contract, (IMHO), anybody signing up for such a long period, even if it were FREE would be a fool. Remember that it puts a marker on your line and prevents you taking your service forom elsewhere.
I did say IMHO .... twice!
Edit: Some wisdom from somebody even older than OldJim and me ... http://www.happychild.org.uk/nvs/cont/stories/aesopsfables/page0166.htm

I was answering the question in the poll. It doesn't refer to Plusnet being the broadband supplier.
tywyn
Grafter

I could use a new router, if I singed up for 12 months (have been with PN for 5 years) would I be entitled to a free one?
geewizz
Grafter

Yes.
Santiago
Grafter

On the other hand you could buy a good router, as new in the box, from Ebay for less than £10 pounds. You could stay on your monthly contract too.
Ebay don't require that you take out out a contract for 18 months to buy a £10 router
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: geewizz
I would happily sign up for 5 years if the price and conditions were right.

I suggest that would be on a par with those people who 2 or 2 years ago signed up to a long term fixed rate mortgage. It seemed the right thing to do at the time.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If an ISP wants my custom then 1 month, if there good I'll stay, if not I leave.  Up to the ISP to keep me happy, buyers market.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
pierre_pierre
Grafter

If I had signed  a fixed term just one month ago for BBYW1 and now find I can get the Value for £4 a month cheaper (when my 3 month reduced is up), I would be less than happy 14 times 4 is quite a bit £56
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You can actually switch but it triggers a new 18 month contract - and I can't be bothered to dig out the reference in the enormous thread