Did you mean: 

Continuos connection drops

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Continuos connection drops

Quote from: bengolia
and for which now BT is charging us.

Do you pay BT for your phone rental and did you report the fault to them?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bengolia
Grafter

hi,
yes BT is our phone provider and PN for broadband. The problem had been reported to BT too last time as the line was really noise while this kind of problem with the broadband was happening.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

OK. When you reported the fault the line was noisy and following the engineers visit the line was less noisy? It wasn't that he unplugged the router and the noise disappeared was it?
bengolia
Grafter

no the issue is we have an intermittent problem on the line (as per the engineer's words). It might be fine while he is in the house and go nuts 5 minutes after he left to be fine again in 10 minutes or so. he line had been fine for a while than past few days you can see in the previous posts how many connection drops we had.
As said before (i should simply make a copy of this so i can paste it in the future), we removed everything from the main socket and left only the router connected in the test socket: connection kept dropping.
Plugged the phone with the router: connection kept dropping and the line was noisy.
Plugged only the phone: line noisy.
Than problem disappeared and reappeared. Engineer came around while it was fine and couldn't do anything to fix it. He left saying: all you have to do is hope that the line breaks completely so it has to be replaced.

Internal wiring has been checked, retested, changed, re-changed and hardware has been upgraded, changed and re-changed.
and to add to the above we live some 0.5 miles away from the exchange
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You need to be very careful here:
You report Voice faults to BT. You report broadband faults to Plusnet. If you report a broadband fault to BT you will be charged as they are only responsible for the provision of the voice service. From what you've said I'm afraid I think you are going to be on a very sticky wicket for disputing the charge that has already been levied.
bengolia
Grafter

connection dropping = reported to plusnet
line noisy = reported to BT
Two problems seems to be related to the same issue: fault on the line.
In both cases an engineer has been dispatched and in both cases the issue was not happening while the engineer was in the property.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

As far as we're concerned (and BT Wholesale) the fault doesn't need to be ocurring whilst the engineer is on site, it's probably helpful if it is but not essential.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bengolia
Grafter

Hi Adam,
we got a reply to the ticket but unfortunately it was as i suspected...
Your issue appears to be resolved as your connection is now stable. It would appear that the equipment you had connected previously was the cause of the issue.Please get back to us online or reply to the text we have sent if you require any further assistance

I have now replied stating that no equipment has been changed, in fact our router has been plugged in since december and never powered off.
It seems it's really hard to explain what an intermittent fault on the line is Sad
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bengolia,
Intermittent faults can be difficult to pin down, I agree. I imagine that stable connection is the reason behind the ticket response, as, if you look at the graph, the last three days have been solid compared to last week. How is your speed now? Are things ok? Do you need me to do anything?
Jojo Smiley
bengolia
Grafter

Hi Jo,
the line seems to be fine for now. had a bit of packet loss yesterday which resulted in the connection to one of my servers dropping for a second but overall looks stable. fingers crossed it will stay this way but i doubt it
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bengolia,
well it seems to be holding up well.
Jojo Smiley
bengolia
Grafter

Hi,
the problem has representet itself again. Now being for a week with continuous connection drops. The connectiong graph should show lot of disconnections but before we are asked the answer is no, we didn't unplug the router.
Any suggestion, apart from the usual to book an appointment is very appreciated as that will result in another guy turning up and not finding any issues here.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Bengolia,
I'm afraid if you're unable to fix the issue by changing the setup at your premises (new filters etc, moving router to master socket - though we appreciate in your case it's already plugged in there - then the only thing we can do to fix it is to raise a fault. That may get fixed without an engineer visit but it's unlikely.
In order to do that unfortunately you'd need to either call our support team or raise it through http://faults.plus.net