Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contention or Throttling?

granges
Dabbler

Contention or Throttling?

Hi,
I've done a search in this forum so hopefully this query hasn't been answered before.
I play online games in the evenings, but lately my pings have been getting so bad I'm being kicked from the servers.  I have stopped everything i.e. messaging, anti-virus, windows updates, firewalls etc as a test to free up some ping but it hardly makes any difference.  If I log on at 4.30pm I get a ping of around 40 but by 6pm it's about 100 and by 9pm it's up to 300.
My question is therefore:  Does PlusNet throttle bandwidth in the evenings (between 4 and 10pm) which would affect my ping or secondly could it be the contention ratio?  If it's the latter, I'm assuming I can't tell what ratio I'm sharing with others in my street? 
Kind thanks,
Steve  Smiley
20 REPLIES 20
James
Grafter

Re: Contention or Throttling?

Hi Steve,
We actually prioritise Gaming as "Gold" on our network meaning that Gamers should get a good experience.
What may be of use is that we just added some more network capacity which should ensure that your gaming performance is just as it should be.
granges
Dabbler

Hi James,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
How recent has this addition been?  I haven't noticed an increase lately, maybe some, but on the whole my ping and general internet surfing appears to be affected by something.
Regards,
James
Grafter

About 6 hours ago Steve Smiley
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

What games?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Spider
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
We actually prioritise Gaming as "Gold" on our network meaning that Gamers should get a good experience.

I thought it was Gold only for BBYW option one and for the rest of the BBYW products it was Titanium as per the product pages.
Kelly
Hero

Yep that is right:  BBYW Traffic Management Pages
If the OP is on Option 1, it's Gold.  Option 2/3/4 and Pro have it in Titanium.
Kelly Dorset
granges
Dabbler

I play Counter Strike source.  I've been playing tonight and it was a bit better (from 9 - 10 ish) still had a ping around 80-100 though.
I'm on option1 PAYG, therefore it looks like I'm getting the gold package.  So assuming it's not the contention ratio, I guess I'll have to upgrade to Option 2 onwards for a better gaming ping during peak time?
Thanks for the replies,
Steve
Kelly
Hero

Do you have interleaving enabled?
Kelly Dorset
James
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
Yep that is right:  BBYW Traffic Management Pages
If the OP is on Option 1, it's Gold.  Option 2/3/4 and Pro have it in Titanium.

Sorry, my mistake Smiley
granges
Dabbler

Quote from: Kelly
Do you have interleaving enabled?

I'm not sure what interleaving is...?
clockley
Grafter

Interleaving is a service where the data sent is effectively doubled, so if you are having problems with a noisy line etc, you are more likely to have all of the data transmitted to be received whole at the other end.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interleaving
This can probably explain it better than I can.  However, if Interleaving is turned on, it can have an effect on your pings, as more data is being sent down the line and will take longer to arrive.
Hope this helps.
granges
Dabbler

Hi guys,
Thanks very much for the advice.  I've looked into it, and I will check my router out when I get home to see if interleaving is enabled. 
Steve Smiley
James
Grafter

Hi Steve,
You currently have interleaving turned on on your line, would you like me to turn it off?
It's essentially something that improves stability and causes latency (ping times) to increase, but isn't needed on decent lines.
granges
Dabbler

Yes please!
I'm assuming if I have any problems then I can get it turned back on?
Also, from my understanding is the interleaving configured at PlusNet end or in my actual router?  I had the impression I was going to have to go into my router to turn it off.
Thanks for doing this,