Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Team Workshop

James
Grafter

Content Team Workshop

Hi Everyone,
I mentioned earlier that I'd attended a Content team workshop this morning.  In this meeting we had a big discussion of the improvement that we would like to implement/look into over the next 3 months.
Please find below the minutes from the meeting.  If there's anything that you don't understand or would like us to elaborate on, then please do shout up and I or a member of the Content team will be happy to assist.
===
This meeting provided an opportunity for the whole team to voice ideas and findings in relation to potential improvements we should make to online support  (specifically support pages and the help assistant).

* search box doesn't look like a Search box
* search should drive Findability
- intuitive
- most important
- how many people use search?

* We like live search on http://kb.mediatemple.net/
- 'indexing database' for support pages
- we could also use this for the ticket system

* Implement support page tag cloud on PlusNet

* Index should consist of sections with explanatory text
- expandable indexing?
- index should have 'failsafe' of 'see everything' option for knowledgeable users
- stay within familiar territory
-- links looking like links
-- compare with other popular websites

* Right-hand side column
- look like adverts
- what is 'tickets'?

* More 'visual' navigation
- icons for key areas
- a bit like 'My Account'
-- mouseovers
- run the icon 'themes' through the lifecycle: signup onwards

* Prototype index page
- what are the most important areas?
- all major areas on support index (how do you want to be supported)

* Navigation
- top menu bar to feature drop-down section indexing

* Support indexing:
- broadband fault checker
- housemove tool
- categories
-- make sure similar cats are adjacent
- explain what each cat represents
- Top levels articles of each section should be an introductory article with articles to specific software from there? Make general guides much more prominent
- bring together similar articles wherever possible (reduce duplication of
content)

* Wizards:
- should we try to create basic 'flows' of diagnosis?
-- major piece of work with unknown return on investment
* Help Assistant
- make it look different from support pages
- many people don't know what help asst is..
- Help Asst > Contact Us?Huh
- when raising a ticket, system suggests 'relevant articles'
- ratings: could we ask customers to rate a page as solving an issue raised via  ticket? Ability to close ticket from support page.
- ability to raise tickets via support pages

* TR-69
- work closely with Product to compliment developments in this area

- useful information

* CSC training:
- ensure CSC agents are aware of support material and advising customers to refer  to these in future
- does CSC answer queries with relevant support page? (ticket causes)
- ask CSC to feedback

* Community
- ask to feedback on existing content
- Wordpress to allow customers/staff to create/edit own content
- move 'geeky' content out of official into community
- all will be moderated by PlusNet
- promote Community in everything we do

Actions:
- Communicate minutes
- Include top-level items into roadmap calendar & POMS
- reporting: how effective is 'search'?
15 REPLIES 15
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Re: Content Team Workshop

James,
I like the idea of Community moderation by PlusNet. It might then be possible to eliminate content which is not correct factually. It would undoubtedly help if there is input relating to 'a trial', I have in mind recent experience with Postini.
This has been the basis of my dislike of forums, it doesn't help if there is too much dross.
There is perhaps not too much need for 'censorship' if we consider 'idle chit-chat' subjects.
The suggestion of promotion of Community in everything seems to make sense. At the moment I don't think too many people are aware of it and what it is capable of (??).
There are a number of aspects regarding PlusNet which are perhaps not known to customers. Could this matter perhaps be dealt with in a 'welcome pack' style of some kind? It could couple with a 'pleased to have you with us' approach.
Not applicable

The Community Content James is talking about being moderated by PN is completely different to the forums.
I've just reviewed a draft of the new welcome pack including references to here. Wink
Dunno how long it will be to get the last bits ironed out, but I think PN are intending it to be live pretty soon.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've been browsing around the portal for years so I generally don't have any problems with it.
Much of the Help and Support is, to me stating the obvious but it's by no means obvious to people new to the game (as was I a few years ago)....ok, many years ago Sad
I would like to see some posts here from customers new to Plusnet and also customers new to the Internet and Broadband as a whole.
Evaluations from these people will help to test the 'idiot proofing' (no disrespect) of the Help and Support section.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
James
Grafter

Hi Bob,
I do understand your gripe about people being able to post both correct and incorrect advice in these and other forums.
However, from a moderation perspective, what you ask for is not feasible - it would be unfair on our moderators and also there would be too many overheads at this end if all posts needed proofreading by staff.
The Community aspect that I was referring to is for gaining Community feedback and approval on new support pages, and so on.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Also its not always clear cut if some advise given is correct or not.  I've seen times when something is posted that seems very unlikely to work, but has ended up being a miracle cure.  Also the oposite way around.
I'm sure there is probably a rate the response type of mod for this forum software, but how effective it would be I'm not so sure.
I think in the vast majority of cases when false information is posted, someone will post with a correction before too long.  It just means you may need to read a few posts more before taking someone's point as gospel!
Finally there are times when PlusNet staff get it wrong.  That's the beauty of technology.  It's often not a straight forward this is the problem, therefore this is the solution.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran

And following on from Phil's post.
Sometimes the shear volume and variety of advice offered for a problem can become a problem itself and the OP is left wondering which if any solution is worth a try.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Bob_Milton
Grafter

The Community Content James is talking about being moderated by PN is completely different to the forums

The Community aspect that I was referring to is for gaining Community feedback and approval on new support pages, and so on.

Well fellas,
It just shows that I was mistaken. I did not understand what was being spoken about.
Perhaps that's an example of what can happen to a novice like me.
Strat
Community Veteran

I waited until the mud settled Bob Wink
James
Grafter

Bob,
That's why I said this:
If there's anything that you don't understand or would like us to elaborate on, then please do shout up and I or a member of the Content team will be happy to assist.

Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran

@James
I think we assumed you meant the content of your post not the post itself Wink
James
Grafter

I think it works both ways really Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran

touché
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Hallo folks,
Is it getting to the stage where I can expect the explanatory 'phone call ?
What a daft old b****r I am.?
Bob
Not applicable

08451400200 or 0114 296 5198
It works both ways Wink