Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant problems...

catherinet556
Grafter

Constant problems...

Hey,
I have been having constant drop outs from the broadband for the last seven days and when it does stay on for a good amount of time it seems to not exceed the speed of  1mbps when usually i will have a constant 15-17mbps, which makes it hard to even use it.
I was just wondering when this problem will be fixed and what's the cause?
I have enjoyed Plusnet's great service for more than a year and it's quite disapointing to experience so many problems in a short amount of time.

19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Constant problems...

Have you run through the tests and reported a fault using the Plusnet Faults Checker ?
Good luck  Wink
catherinet556
Grafter

Hey, purleigh. Thanks for the reply. Smiley
I done all the troubleshooting, including the taking the front plate off the master socket and plugging into the socket on the inside, this made my speed shoot back up to normal but as soon as i put the panel back on and plugged in, it went back down. 😕
Having constant problems like this for over a week makes me consider changing provider...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: catherinet556
taking the front plate off the master socket and plugging into the socket on the inside, this made my speed shoot back up to normal but as soon as i put the panel back on and plugged in, it went back down. 😕

THAT statement is a very good indicator that your problem is something going wrong inside your house,
and NOT a problem with your telephone line, telephone exchange, or Plusnet.
That is actually very good news - because it means that with a little investigating you should be able to fix it yourself.

• When you removed the master socket faceplate, were there any wires attached to the removed faceplate ?

• If you have telephone extension sockets around your house, has anything changed ? - like a new phone or wiring disturbed ?

• Do you have a "Sky" box plugged into any telephone socket ?

• Do you normally have your broadband modem plugged into the master socket ?

• Does your broadband speed return to normal if your telephone(s) (and anything else - like fax machines) are unplugged ?

• Have you changed any other electrical equipment recently - such as a plasma TV, microwave, etc ?

catherinet556
Grafter

The broadband speed is fine in the test socket but broadband will still be dropping out all day.
Is this the maintenance work?
It's been going on for more than 8 days now it's ridiculous.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi catherinet556,
I've taken a look at your account to check on the faults and it seems that both time this was raised we didn't have all the questions answered so they were never progressed as they were awaiting an update from yourself. I'll get a few checks run for you and see if we can pick anything up that we can raise this on and will report back here and on a support ticket for you.
With regards to maintenance, this isn't something that's ongoing at present so this wouldn't be the cause of your disconnections.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hello again catherinet556,
I've run through both a broadband and phone line check for you and it appears that this has flagged a fault on the phone side of the service which is internal to your property. This could be caused by a number of things so we could do with the answers to a few questions as well as look to run some further tests with your help so first up -
1. Do you have anything plugged into your phone line that doesn't have a microfilter plugged into the socket first?
2. Have you tested the broadband connection with all other devices unplugged from the all other sockets in the property e.g. Phones, Sky boxes, Fax machines
3. Have you been using any additional phone line extensions that allow you to have your router placed in a different location?
3. have you introduced anything new to the phone system such as a new phone handset or fax machine?
Once we have the answers to these questions we may need to look at arranging a time where you can unplug everything from the phone line so that we can run another line check without any devices connected in order to eliminate everything else but the line itself.
I'll await an update from you on this before we look to proceed.
catherinet556
Grafter

Thanks for the reply,
I think I couldn't answer the last ones because the broadband disconnected.
I understand this problem could be at my end, so I was also wondering if it were possible to purchase a plus net router as the BT home hub 3 has been.unreliable in the past.
I only have 1 socket in my house and a microfilter is plugged into it with nothing else. A wire is in the Adsl slot leading to the home hub. And nothing else.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again catherinet556,
Thanks for getting back to me, it sounds like you have a simple set up so no doubt we could be looking at some sort of internal wiring problem. if you can give me a set time today where you can have both the phone and router unplugged for ten minutes I'll get the tests run to confirm this issue isn't sat with you.
Would you be free to unplug this between 1pm and 1:10pm today?
catherinet556
Grafter

Yes that would be fine.
Thank you for the help, Adam.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not a problem, I'll initiate the tests in around 10 minutes for you and then share the results.
catherinet556
Grafter

Thank you. When should I expect to see the results. Smiley
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi catherinet556,
The testing is showing the same result so if everything was unplugged we would need to get an engineer out.
If you can confirm that you had everything unplugged and let me know when you would be available for the engineer visit I can get this booked for you. At the moment it looks like we have appointments available in your area from Monday 11th onwards in either an AM (9am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6PM)  slot.
catherinet556
Grafter

Yes, I had everything unplugged from the master socket.
I am available all the time, does it cost anything to call out an engineer?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for confirming for me catherinet556,
The call out of the engineer wouldn't cost anything as long as we have done all the test I outlined in the first update so no need to worry there.
I have now booked this for you and managed to get a cancellation booked in for this Friday (08/08/14) between 9am and 1pm, please let me know if this is OK for you and hopefully we should see this problem resolved for you when the engineer visits.