cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant DNS issues

Mr_Ormerod
Grafter

Re: Constant DNS issues

screenie (if it lets me upload this time)
Mr_Ormerod
Grafter

Well it seems, using the TOR browser works a treat, shame nothing else works, steam, origin, consoles etc

Mr_Ormerod
Grafter

I can even post freely on here without taking 10 minutes and 15 attempts.

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Very odd problem that, so i guess DHCP is giving all your devices an ip then, but your not not able to resolve anything at all?

Have you not got an old Modem knocking about to try ?

Mr_Ormerod
Grafter

yeah DHCP working fine it seems. It's just anything that needs a URL doesn't get resolved right away, might take 2-3 times, I'll get a timeout, cannot resolve URL and DNS config error then, maybe, just maybe I can view a page. obvisouly things like origin and steam which connect to a url say login.origin.com etc don't work as they time out right away.

Been going on for a week now, I'm the infrastructure manager/sysadmin for an IT building and if I'd left any of my tennants with unusable internet I'd be out on my [-Censored-]. I have to be able to work from home sometimes and this is just unacceptable.

Mr_Ormerod
Grafter

After being on the phone for 90 minutes one of the guys at plus.net sent me a new router, has made no difference sadly

Mr_Ormerod
Grafter

Seems the router is using itself as a primary dns server and failing, results from nslookup

> www.google.com
Server: dsldevice.lan
Address: 192.168.1.254

Non-authoritative answer:
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Name: www.google.com
Address: 172.217.23.36

30FTTC06
Pro

I would agree something isn't quite right there, further investigation required locally i'd say.

Raising a ticket and keep plugging it till one of the guys turns up after the weekend!

Downtheloo
Dabbler

Try using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as the primary and secondary nameserver IP address.

Mr_Ormerod
Grafter

Turns out after spending a big chuck of the weekend with one of the plus.net guys that it's their end all along!!

Mr_Ormerod
Grafter

Nothing needs doing locally, Locally everything is spot on (as I'd expect it to be saying I do it as a living). After some investigation with the PN guys, turns out everyone was moved to new network over the past few months, and while I was technically moved as I'd not had a disconnect since then I wasn't actually ON the new network, when I rebooted my router on the 28th, I was then assigned the new network and it turns out that the new network is the issue. While the issue is still present I'm now on the old network till they fix it (turns out I'm not the only one).

Downtheloo
Dabbler

Glad you got it fixed. I'm pretty sure that using Google dns ip addresses as I suggested would have worked given that the tor browser worked for you, but it would have just been a workaround for whatever the actual problem with dns is on the new network. I had to use this trick many times in the past as a BT customer..

30FTTC06
Pro

I thought either Local exchange problem or account issue in all honesty.

Glad your on the way to it being fixed, I'm liking the New network by the way!

Mr_Ormerod
Grafter

Using differing DNS servers in 3rd party software makes no difference if the connection itself doesn't know where to look. Turns out my problem isn't fixed as when I got home yesterday the problem was back, after another hour on the phone to PN turns out the fix we had in place we weren't allowed to do (some manager says we can't do that anymore) and my account will have had lots of extra charges on for the work I did with them, so I am now without connection, I know what the problem is, I know what the fix is, but being told they won't do it and will be thursday at the earliest before anyone will even look at it.

Downtheloo
Dabbler

You'd be telling the connection to look at Googles server on ip address 8.8.8.8 for dns resolution.. Give it a try, it wont take long and I think it might well get you working again given that the tor browser worked.