cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant DNS issues

Mr_Ormerod
Grafter

Re: Constant DNS issues

you're not understanding, or listening. That does NOT work, as the connection still goes through the router and PN servers. Using TOR is pretty much like using a VPN which bypasses all PN servers.

The issue is on one of the "access racks", the one I get assigned to and gives me a 195.99.88.xxx IP has little to no DNS usage, there's another rack which assigns an IP in the 2xx.xxx.xxx.xxx range which doesn't allow users to access google networks. If I get given an IP out of those ranges I have zero problem everything works fine, I'm told I am meant to be given a 51.xxx.xxx.xxx and spent hours session killing my connection to see if I can get one but it's always 195.99.88.xxx, I honestly don't see why they won't fix my problem temporarily so that I can have the service I am paying for, and fix the problem that I fault found for them, spent 5-6 hours on the phone of my own time over the weekend.

Downtheloo
Dabbler

I'm so sorry, I was just trying to help. The last thing I want to do is to make you more angry than you already are.

In the Advanced Settings -> dns menu on the Plusnet router clicking the down arrow beside Auto gives a built in option for Google DNS which fills in the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 IP addresses automatically.

Both options currently work for me.

Google dns would most likely work for you. It has helped me greatly in the past with BT dns issues.

It will take you less than 30 seconds to try it, and you have nothing to lose.

Mr_Ormerod
Grafter

hehe I know you were.

I presume you have a different hub/router to me, I have a plus.net hub one, which is identical (bar branding ) to the BT hub, which is DNS locked, there is no option to change it, trust me I have tried. I also can't telnet/ssh into it either.

Downtheloo
Dabbler

I just powered up my old BT hub and can see what you mean, there is no option for manual assignment.

This was the hub I would have been using when I had all the dns issues on BT.

I only changed the DNS addresses in the windows tcpip client to Google and it definitely worked for me then, so it might well work for you now.

Thinking about it, just because the connection cant resolve names doesn't mean we can't access a specific IP address and then ask that address to resolve the name..

If you can ping 8.8.8.8 it ought to work..

Best of luck with it anyway...

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Guys,

This is appalling!

Good lord @Mr_Ormerod sorry for your loss Again.... erm, if you have a soldering iron and a bit of time to play with...

TRY that old Hub-one you have with open-wrt loads of settings plus ssh etc/ Smiley

Mr_Ormerod
Grafter

I may try that, but shouldn't have to, I've found the issue... It's a plus.net issue, and know a solution, they're just not willing to do that Sad so am stuck with little-no internet access. I don't have an aerial or sky/cable as I watching everything on netflix etc I can't game as no consoles will connect to the network to verify game licenses, so even most single player games won't work, no steam/origin so pc gaming is out of the question too. Time to take up knitting I think.

Downtheloo
Dabbler

I can feel your pain! Agree you shouldn't have to, but I'd be very interested to know if it works around the problem or not..

neilm1

Have you had any further update on this? I too have had the same issues or the past 3 weeks, and initially I was told there were no network issues. I kept the ticket open, and kept adding to it every few days doing the things I was asked to such as turn off other router/access point. I knew it was a DNS issue as dnsbench reported that the local router stopped responding to DNS requests. Last Tuesday I got a call from PN says no that a trouble ticket (higher importance than an incident ticket) had been raised and that there was now a known problem that they would work to resolve. Since then, no further news but it's still happening some days worse than others. 

Mr_Ormerod
Grafter

Yeah I finally got some service back. If you're having the same issues, what ip address are you being assigned?

neilm1

Broadband network IP address: 84.93.104.91

Is there a specific range that is having a problem?  And did you get to the bottom of what the actual problem was? 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Read this thread with interest because I'm not aware of any widespread issue that would result in the symptoms being described!? Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

edwh
Rising Star

Could this be a reverse DNS issue? I use a service that likes to see forward and reverse DNS match. I’ve just had an IP address (84.93.45.21) with no rDNS entry. I thought I’d do the decent thing and raise a ticket for it but the agent responded that an rDNS entry can only exist for static IP addresses. The IP address I had previous to this and the IP address I have now have rDNS entries and my remote service is happy. The ticket is 137928498.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

That's interesting.

You were advised incorrectly, dynamic IPs should also have rDNS assigned and I can see that IP doesn't:

C:\Windows\System32>nslookup 84.93.45.21
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  212.159.8.120

*** UnKnown can't find 84.93.45.21: Server failed

It wouldn't explain @Mr_Ormerod's issues though because the IPs assigned to them on the new network did have an rDNS assignment.

@Mr_Ormerod, looking at your RADIUS logs, there was definitely something amiss whilst you were assigned the 195 IPs. There's negligible data transferred for the duration of those sessions.

I'll do a bit of digging and see what I can uncover...

Edit: ref 95981/95885.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Mr_Ormerod
Grafter

hehe I know there was something amiss Smiley

and there is more amiss now as I have a grand download speed of 6Mb/s, down from a maximum of 38 which I usually stuck at, but... BUT my upload speed has gone up, almost doubled!

My connection stumbled on Monday evening, it didn't disconnect but data transfer stopped between 1am and 2am (I was watching a youtube documentary) got resolving hosts errors for 3-5 minutes, then seemed to rectify itself but my speeds plummeted. 

Another hour phone call to support (30 mins waiting obviously) and another investigation is being done.....

edwh
Rising Star

I gained another IP address with no rDNS today: 212.159.63.109.

A disconnect and reconnect replaced it with a more satisfactory one 🙂