Did you mean: 

Constant Broadband Dropouts

FIXED
DunMcH22
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Constant Broadband Dropouts

Hi,

I've been having problems with my broadband connection all day. My router seems to be loosing its internet connection every few minutes, which makes doing any work online very frustrating. I've re-booted my router several times but to no avail. I doubt if my router is faulty since its been working perfectly before today. I was wondering if there are any problems further upstream that  I don't know about.

Update:- I've replaced the microfilter and this may solved the problem. I will see how things are this evening and tomorrow  before making a final judgement.

Thanks.

25 REPLIES 25
hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Constant Broadband Dropouts

Also try the quiet line test on 17070 and check for excess hum (hard to define) or crackles (there shouldnt be any).

Any of the above remove all your extension phones and check it again from the test socket before reporting it (you dont want to pay for a callout).

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there, looking at your line you were experiencing a lot of disconnections yesterday but none today, did you find what was causing the issue?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
DunMcH22
Grafter

Fix

Hi,

Thanks for all the help. All I did was to replace the microfilter and everything seems to be back to normal. I think that the old microfilter was the original one when I first joined Plusnet over 10 years ago.

Thanks.

DunMcH22
Grafter

I can't believe it. Exactly two weeks later I'm having the same constant dropouts. Maybe its some local problem on a Saturday. Strange thing is that it started at about the same of the day. If this goes on I'm going to have to switch to cable instead.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@crt can you please post a new VR plot going back to 7th July?

@DunMcH22,

Have you looked at running router stats? If this is local interference, that should show things very clearly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DunMcH22
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. How do you do router stats? I'm not particularly tech savvy. My router is a Netgear Nighthawk. The connection is so patchy at the moment I can barely stay online for more than a minute before the connection is lost.

Thanks.

DunMcH22
Grafter

I think I've manged to find the router log. Hopefully I've attached it to this reply.

Thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Use the link below to access the router stats web site. Check compatibility with your router.

The other link below offers some guidance in configuring RS.

The router log does not offer anything overly useful, but it does disclose your IP address so you might want to remove the attachment.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DunMcH22
Grafter

Hi, Unfortunately it appears that Router Stats does not have a Mac version and it also appears that my router does not appear in the compatibility list.

Thanks

DunMcH22
Grafter

And now it appears that for a second day I'm getting dropouts. As a very long standing customer of Plusnet I expected a little more in the way of customer service.

DunMcH22
Grafter

Hi, I did the 17070 quiet line test and there is definitely some hiss and crackle on the line. any further advice?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DunMcH22 you might want to raise a fault here.

https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults (Login required)

grahamw
Hooked

Hi DunMcH2,

Before you raise a fault try this. With the phone handset off hook, plug the line plug in and out several times. Do the same with your router cable as well, both ends. Take the telephone handset on and off several times. Then finally leave the handset off for about an hour, you'll have to ignore the 'howler' it will go off after a few minutes.

This applies DC wetting to the line and it can burn off a lot of noise faults. If you only use the phone occasionally this will help. It's worth doing even if your broadband seems OK once in a while to keep the line 'clean'. If you use the phone a lot anyway there is no need to do it, but most people don't nowadays.

It is unlikely the microfilter you suspected is faulty, just changing it can clean the socket connection, and you probably lifted the handset to check for dialtone, this again can clear the line.

If this fails raise a fault, but make absolutely sure the noise fault is not caused by your home installation before you report it.

DunMcH22
Grafter

Thanks for the practical advice. I've done as you suggested to see if there is a noise problem on the line. If the problems continue I will raise a fault.

Thanks