cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant ADSL drop outs

kvbudge
Dabbler

Re: Constant ADSL drop outs

Looks like I spoke too soon... it's still a pile of rubbish today. Connection holds, and then the signal to noise ratio goes off and it drops...  Disconnections can happen at any time, SNR goes off at any time. I watched it happen - SNR for upstream shot up and SNR for downstream collapsed. I doubt someone is calling at say 1am.
Important to state that this phone line has never had a number given to anyone ever, and is listed as ex directory. Of course your point still stands that incoming calls could cause disconnections.
I'd say there's a problem with the line but what do I know... it just hangs along the side of the house next to a busy pathway at waist height.
kvbudge
Dabbler

Incidentally, it is physically impossible to plug the microfilter into the test socket directly due to some moron installing another phone socket right next to it and partially blocking access.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The microfilters that have a short cable to plug them into the phone socket tend to be better designs. Microfilters supplied with a router from an ISP tend to be fairly good.
However, if you don't want to connect any telephones, you don't actually need a microfilter. The main purpose of a microfilter is to block the ADSL signal from reaching the telephone. The socket for the ADSL modem on a microfilter is not filtered, it's just wired straight through. The microfilter does provide a suitable socket (RJ11) for the modem cable though, you'd need a different cable to connect the modem directly to a telephone socket.
kvbudge
Dabbler

I suspect all this is irrelevant. My phone line is supposed to be fixed to the side of the house. It is no longer fixed to the side of the house and instead flaps in the wind across a busy foot path.
This is a conservation area... I've made a complaint to building control at the local council who will take enforcement action over this. Be grateful for me doing this before it unseats a local cyclist and you're left with a huge bill.
kvbudge
Dabbler

Interleaving has been turned on the line... and now the modem is reporting a higher line rate than ever before Smiley Downstream maximum is 16712 now, never seen it above 14000 before. I guess that's made a difference then!
kvbudge11

Well constant drop outs continue, might be an hour's downtime at a time. So still no improvement. I can see the problem, The SNR continues to ping all over the place. In the past 30 mins my upstream SNR has gone from about 12 at one end to under 3 at the other.

WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE FIXED?

And just to add salt to the wound further, I see you not only constructed a new forum but reset all the passwords too. Can no longer log in on my old account, I do not receive the change password email.

kvbudge11

And it's still broken today.

IS it really acceptable service that months and months after reporting a fault the fault still exists? If you were an electricity company or a water company or a gas company the regulator would by now be taking you to court.

Either you fix it, or you lose a customer. Simple as that.