cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistent slow speeds

Tomg2k3

Consistent slow speeds

Hi all,

I moved to plusnet about 3 weeks ago and have been experiencing consistently slow download speeds. I am expecting 4-6mbs but I am getting somewhere near 1mbs. Before I go on, my connection/speeds were absolutely fine with my previous provider (Sky) and I am in the same flat and my router hasn't moved position.

Actions taken so far:

1. I have been on the phone and had my first router replaced but wifi speeds remain slow. I have changed the wifi channel to one not used as much in my location but no difference. Interestingly, when I run a wired BT wholesale speed test, the speed is OK.

2. Assuming that the line to my router is OK (which it appears to be based on wired speed tests with the new Plusnet router), I am working on the basis that the standard Plusnet router isn't very good and so purchased an upgraded router (AC, dual bandwidth) which should be more than capable however speeds are still slow.

So... I have been told that my line is OK and the BT wholesale test confirms that, and my router is OK as it's brand new and good quality (more than good enough for my needs) however I am still getting the same slow speeds over wifi.

I think I've eliminated everything that I can think of so does the community have any ideas?

Any would be appreciated (preferably free as it's getting expensive!).

Thank you,

Tom

5 REPLIES 5
notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Consistent slow speeds

Without sounding sarcastic, or argumentative.  If a wired speed test is providing desirable results, Plusnet are holding up their part of the bargain.

You mention that you have upgraded your router; But does your equipment support 5Ghz/AC standards?  If not then they will still be connecting to the now congested 2.4Ghz network.

Tomg2k3

I suspect you're right and they are, but there is an issue somewhere.

What makes me so sure is that with previous providers (Talktalk and Sky) and with their 'stock' routers all was fine. With everything else being equal (same flat, same router location) it seems that something hidden must have changed but I'm not sure what.

Yes, the new router supports both.

bin
Aspiring Pro

For analysing wifi issues this app may help if you use a smartphone.

http://keuwl.com/apps/wifianalyser/

It is available via Google Play Store and it is both very good and ad/tracking free.

It will help you see what's what around you and identify channel and frequency clashes.

Tomg2k3

Nice, do they have an equivalent for iOS though?

Incidentally, Apple do have an inbuilt wifi scanner which I have used to locate the best channel and it didn't make much difference.

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The inherent issue with WiFi networks, is that the issue could be related to things beyond your control (neighbors, electrical interference etc...)

In regards to my statement about the 5Ghz band, I was asking mainly about connected devices, rather than the router.