cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistent drop outs and a crackling phone line

jmtrevett

Consistent drop outs and a crackling phone line

Hi,

Been a plusnet customer for years, with broadband and telephone. We went away for a few days this last weekend and when we got back the broadband lasts only 10 or so minutes before dropping out (takes a while to come back too) and the phone line crackles so badly that you can't hear anyone.

We changed from the plusnet provided wired router earlier in the year to a TP-link Archer V600 wifi router which has been great with not a single drop out for months.

Now it is so bad that it has taken me an hour to load up this site, register and post! I have tried making a call with only a phone connected to the master socket but the crackling was just as bad.

What is going on? Can anyone help?

Jess

8 REPLIES 8
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Consistent drop outs and a crackling phone line

Hi Jess.

Line tests aren't finding a problem so I've raised ticket with a way to progress this forward as a fault.

I hope this helps and sorry for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

I could have posted this comment myself a few days ago!

PN's first reaction is that it is the customers fault! I connected and disconnected everything and swapped phones, routers, filters etc. I dialled the quiet line test (17070 Opt 2) and recorded it. After a few days they said I needed an engineer.

After a few more days a really helpful man from OR turned up and said that there was a problem 100 yds down the road and they will fix it asap. Another man turned up at 8 am and swiftly dealt with the faulty connection in the box down the road.

Result - silent line and no drop outs.

I really do think that PN could be a lot lot quicker to get to grips with real problems than they are doing and it also depends on how good the individual is when you get through. There are a lot of old lines in use too and OR could well have a permanent office in my road. All the gas pipes in the country have been replaced - why not the phone lines?

Rant ovr!!

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

A very large number of faults are with the customers equipment or internal wiring.  They are not saying it is your fault, just trying to rule it out.  All providers must try to check that out before they are able to raise faults with BTO/BTW unless a fault could be detected elsewhere within the network.  If an engineer is arranged and finds fault with the users internal wiring or equipment then a charge can be applied.

Imagine how much more it would cost if an engineer was to be called out for all of these, and how much longer you would need to wait for the engineer in the first place due to there being a massive increase in faults reported!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

In my case there is no internal wiring and the problem was there with different phones plugged directly into the master socket.  It should have taken five minutes not five days to clarify that it was external. 

I hope the OP gets his problem sorted quicker.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

We should not 'distract' from the OP here ... however if the QLT is not silent AT THE TEST SOCKET (internal wires if any disconnected) then there ought to further action with router filters etc. as clearly there is a POTs issue, which requires a BTOR engineer.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I was responding to your statement of "PN's first reaction is that it is the customers fault!", though even after they have ruled out your wiring and equipment, there are tests that can be run to try and identify the fault and its location.  Depending on that an engineer may be needed to do some work elsewhere on the network, or an appointment made to visit your premises.  It is not necessarily a case that Plusnet have sat about for a few days with nothing happening on your issue.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@jmtrevett,

Just to be clear here ... when you did the Quiet Line Test was that in the TEST SOCKET behind the faceplate on the master socket?

I'm presently dealing with an issue on a line migrating to Plusnet which is frequently disconnecting, the client telling me its all BT Retail's fault ... internal wiring installed by BT so there cannot be a problem there ... can there?

Line is very noisy at both the extension and the master socket ... until one tries the TEST SOCKET where the line is as quiet as a grave yard!

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@Townman wrote:

@jmtrevett,

Line is very noisy at both the extension and the master socket ... until one tries the TEST SOCKETwhere the line is as quiet as a grave yard!

In my case noisy in both and OR also upgraded me with a faceplace that includes a filter.  It does however sound as if you problem is most likely to be internal.

(I was originally trying to add a comment that might help the OP so will bow out at this point!)