cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Upgrade

mazadillon

Considering Upgrade

I've been a customer with PlusNet since I first got broadband in 2003. I am current recieving the product "PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1 (Annual Contract, No Modem)" and have a static IP, I'm paying £21.99 per month. I am not sure what my bandwidth limit is or even if I have one.
Having looked at the current options offered by PlusNet I must admit that I am a little miffed that as a (relatively!) long standing customer I am paying more than even the most expensive product that is currently offered. As a result I would be interested in upgrading (or cost wise downgrading!) to a comparable product that is cheaper.
My concern is that I do not wish to lose services which I currently enjoy using, for example my static IP or unlimited bandwidth (if such a thing exists). I assume I do in fact have a bandwidth limit but I can't find in the user panel what it is, is it hidden somewhere? If I upgrade to home broadband option 3 could I keep my static IP? Is there any other things I should consider when upgrading?
Thanks in advance,
Regards
Matt
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Considering Upgrade

The main one is the change to the off peak period
For your present usage limits have a look here https://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier1.shtml
You can retain your static IP if you request it
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I'm on the Premier 1 too, for me it doesn't make any sense for me to switch due to my usage.
What does your view my broadband usage say?
As Oldjim says it's the peak period which is the difference, on prem peak is 4PM - Midnight (20GB for your package) and Broadband your way it's 8am - Midnight.
If your overall usage is less than 15GB than a switch to BBYW2 might be appropriate, other than that you'd only be saving 2 pounds a month.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pierre_pierre
Grafter

but if you do want your static IP make sure you ask for it at the same time as the up or down grade.
change of hours are old scheme 12 midnight to 4PM free, new scheme Midnight to 08 am, ie  hours less during the day
other differences are the speed for different uses, i.e. p2p
for your current usage see https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php then click on view my usuage details
mazadillon

Thanks for pointing out the differences between the peak usage hours. I'll have to take another look at my usage profile and see which package works out the best.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: mazadillon
I've been a customer with PlusNet since I first got broadband in 2003. I am current recieving the product "PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1 (Annual Contract, No Modem)" and have a static IP, I'm paying £21.99 per month.

I to am on the same contract the 20GB download amount is for peak usage.  I have used at least 40gb most being off peak in the last month .
I would stay on the same contract if I was you.  With BBYW you loose an extra 8 hours a day in off peak time.  You may say well I dont download during those hours but if you think about you would loose off peak time at weekends, day off from work, holidays when staying at home, bank holidays and even the christmas holidays period it soon racks up.
To bring down the monthly fee you could recommend friends,family and work colleagues to plusnet.
I am at home during the day so find it very useful to stay on my old contract
Its a life style choice in the end only you will know
Puddy
BertCoules
Grafter

I'm also on the old Broadband Premier Option 1 contract and it was only today that I realised I'm paying what seems to be a good deal more than the cost of the nearest equivalent current contract.
In a bit of a mad dash I've just applied to change to the Pro account, but now I'm wondering if this wasn't a mistake.
I use the internet both during the day and in the evenings.  And during both those periods I download quite a lot of P2P material.  Even with trying to restrict my downloading to midnight - 4pm I almost always go over my limit every month and suffer from the speed restrictions.
Now I'm confused as to whether changing would be a good thing or not, and I'd really value any thoughts and opinions.  For example, I believe the Pro account gives better speeds for P2P - would that be enough to tip the balance in its favour for me, despite the restriction in free time during the day?
If I was a bit hasty in arranging to change, is it too late for me to cancel the new contract and revert to the existing one?  Help!
Many thanks.
BC
pierre_pierre
Grafter

speaking from a bad memory I think you can jump back, rather than waiting until Monday, phone up the help desk and ask, they might be able to do it, it certainly cant be done automatically
BertCoules
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.  Do you think, then, that changing would be a mistake for me?
And this is going to sound a bit odd, but just what is the helpdesk phone number?  I can't seem to find it on the site.
Thanks again,
BC
dvorak

If you are using over 20GB, 4PM to midnight then having only 15GB between 8am and midnight then looks like pro could be a very expensive option for you.
You could just restrict P2P to off peak, but how much do you use per month that isn't P2P? If more than 15GB then it might be an idea to have another think.
I game and stream tv/radio a lot so my non-P2P usage is 21GB and there is still 3 or 4 more days before I tick over.
Customer / Moderator
dvorak

Phone numbers:
Customer Support: 0114 296 5198 |  0845 140 0200 | Broadband Faults Helpline: 0114 296 5188 |  0845 140 0080
Customer / Moderator
BertCoules
Grafter

Adiewoo,
Thanks for the thoughts and the phone numbers.  Is there a difference between the two Customer Support numbers, beyond the 0845 lower rate? 
I just spoke to Sales and cancelled the application to change to Pro.
I was on the point of asking about other alternatives, given my average download figures, when the chap I was talking to took a deep breath and said "Thanksverymuchforyourcallgoodbye".  So I never got the chance...
BC
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: BertCoules

If I was a bit hasty in arranging to change, is it too late for me to cancel the new contract and revert to the existing one?  Help!

If your within 30 days you can switch back to your old package its in the terms and conditions contracts work both way
puddy
ps make a note who you spoke to and the time and date should you have any problems
BertCoules
Grafter

Puddy,
Thanks for that.  In the end, I managed to cancel the change before it had gone through.  No problems, except that the chap I spoke to was very anxious to end the conversation for some reason.
BC