cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection up and running, should I be doing reconnects for the first 10 days?

timlake
Grafter

Connection up and running, should I be doing reconnects for the first 10 days?

Hey, so my broadband was enabled yesterday and all seems to have gone well.  I have not moved into the house yet but have the keys so set up the router with my laptop and it works fine.  I understand how the first 10 days are used to find the line speed but do I need to be doing anything in that time like rebooting the router or using the web as I am not moving until the weekend.
8 REPLIES 8
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Connection up and running, should I be doing reconnects for the first 10 days?

Hi Tim,
Resyncing once a day is definitely worthwhile as it helps the exchange to find the right profile for the line. I wouldn't reconnect more than that though as it may be seen by the exchange kit as an intermittent sync issue and lower the profile to compensate.
Hope that helps,
timlake
Grafter

Re: Connection up and running, should I be doing reconnects for the first 10 days?

Ok cool, so if I call into the new house for the next few days on my way home and just turn the router off and on, that'll be best?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Preferably in daylight hours, as SNR margin tends to drop when it's dark.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: 4Candles

How's that then - it's not a radio line of sight link ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no no Mal, its the other person, he only has four candles, so he turns on his PC to get a bit of illumination, and overloads the system so his SNR drops - is that a good enough description?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: mal0z

How's that then - it's not a radio line of sight link ?

No, of course, it isn't.
It's a fact of life, though, that medium-wave radio frequencies travel further at night, and these are picked up by telephone lines, which affects the SNR margin. Just google a few forums and Usenet groups and you'll see it's a common occurrence.
In most cases the router can cope with it, but it can cause dropouts and re-syncs in the worst cases.
In the OP's case, I'm just suggesting that re-syncing during the day will give the best chance of a higher stable rate at the end of the 10 day training period.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

And I thought you knew all about Tropospheric propogation and sun spots Mal Fat lot of good Chelmsford did you
mal0z
Grafter

No, of course, it isn't.
It's a fact of life, though, that medium-wave radio frequencies travel further at night, and these are picked up by telephone lines, which affects the SNR margin. Just google a few forums and Usenet groups and you'll see it's a common occurrence.
In most cases the router can cope with it, but it can cause dropouts and re-syncs in the worst cases.
In the OP's case, I'm just suggesting that re-syncing during the day will give the best chance of a higher stable rate at the end of the 10 day training period.

OK OK - ye the  noise level goes up at night - but you might just as well have a local radio MF station, airfield Non-directional beacon close to you so the noise level could be even higher  - all day too Smiley
and only if the telephone line was an outside drop line.
Many many telephone lines days are underground. - certainly most buildings erected since the 1990's.
OK - I concede I don't know everything about ADSL - that's one reason I'm here to learn - and I am doing just that many thanks  Smiley Smiley
and pierre - yes indeed - I used to work on MF/HF/VHF/UHF radio - but that's a few years ago - and my memory has brain fades too - my signal to noise ratio drops sometimes..........................