cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed since traffic mngmt profile issues

delem
Grafter

Connection speed since traffic mngmt profile issues

Before the recent traffic management profile issues I was able to achieve download speeds in the region of 33000kbps.
I have read the service status updates relating to this problem and have rebooted my modem and router. Speed tests now only show download speeds in the range of 15000 t0 16000 kbps.
The last service status update does say that if members are experiencing slower speeds than usual to report them to Plusnet.
Is this the appropriate place or should I raise a support ticket?
Thanks for any advice.
David
17 REPLIES 17
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: Connection speed since traffic mngmt profile issues

That speed suggests you are on fibre. Is that the case?
If so, what profile values do you get shown (and what speeds do you get) when you use the BT speedtester at http://www.speedtester.bt.com/?
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
delem
Grafter

HI and thanks for your reply.
Yes I am on Plusnet value fibre with the Pro add on.
When I used the BT speed tester I got the following results
Date        Download Speed Kbps  Upload Speed Kbps  IP Profile Kbps
4\02\12    30010                                  1582                                38717
6\02\12    35653                                  1504                                38717
However I have been using the Mybroadbandspeed.co.uk speed tester to check my speeds periodically and I regularly achieved download speeds in the region of 33000Kbps. This did obviously vary depending on the time of day the test was done.
I tried using this before and after the BT Speed test today and got the following results.
09:27am 14227 kbps (1.78MB/s) 1689 kbps (211kB/s Before
09:39am 12973 kbps (1.62MB/s) 1688 kbps (211kB/s) After
I'm trying to understand why these test results should be so different from the BT ones?

delem
Grafter

Sorry mistyped one result  in my last post from the BT speed test. It should have read 33653 Kbps not 35653.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I can see that your connection has been up for over a couple of days now so I'd try rebooting before you do anything else.
Let me know if there's still an issue after that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
delem
Grafter

Hi Adam
I did reboot the modem and router a couple of days ago after the resoultion of the traffic management issue as this was the advice in the closing post for that problem.
Do you want me to reboot both the modem and router again?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Try that anyway please, failing that I'd advise raising a fault.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
delem
Grafter

I have just rebooted my modem and router and get the following results from Mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

Download                              Upload
12:14 15412 kbps (1.93MB/s) 1686 kbps (211kB/s)
Is it time to raise a support ticket?
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Have you tried another speed tester (e.g. speedtest.net or mybroadbandspeed.co.uk)?
delem
Grafter

Yes I have tried speedtest.net and it generally gives me slightly lower download speeds than those indicated by Mybroadbandspeed.co.uk.
I have started a support call to try and get this resolved.
Thanks for your input tho.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@delem,
Just so you know I've made a slight change to your connection profile. When you're able to can you reboot your modem so that it can take effect. I'm hoping this will lead to some improvement with speeds.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
delem
Grafter

Hi Adam
I have just rebooted my router and modem and run the BTspeedtest.
It now shows
Download speed of 23727 Kbps
Upload speed of 1398 Kbps
IP profile is still 38717 Kbps
These speeds are now lower than the BTspeedtest was showing before your change to my profile. Before the change I was getting the following test results.
On Saturday 4th Feb Download 30010 Kbps and Upload 1582 Kbps
On Monday 6th Feb  Download 33653 Kbps and Upload  1504 Kbps
I do have a service ticket open and wonder if they are aware that you have changed the profile and whether it should be reverted to what is was before?
I have been advised by the analyst dealing with my ticket that some third party speed testers such as Mybroadband speed.co.uk have recently been made subject to traffic management on certain accounts and so may not give reliable results. This was a bit of a revelation to say the least! It seems that the BTspeed test is not managed so should give accurate results. My original concerns arose from the results I was getting from Mybroadbandspeed.co.uk. They were always up in the 30000+ Kbps region for downloads but if it has recently been made subject to traffic management this could explain a lot of things. For instance a test using Mybroadbandspeed.co.uk immediately after the BTSpeed test ony showed a download of 14724 Kbps compared with the BT result of 27327 Kbps. Are you aware of this traffic management of third party speed testers?
In order to overcome this I have been asked to download a large file and see what throughput I get. I am happy to do this but would welcome your comment on whether you think your changes to  my profile should be reverted back before I do this.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi delem,
3rd party speed tests will show managed results but BT speed tester will give you your full speed result. I can see the change in your profile on our account and you should see this via a BT speed test now.
Jojo Smiley
Cathotel
Grafter

Hi,
An observation of mine is that mybroadbandspeed.co.uk tester has become unuseable for me after many years of using it.  I have been trying several testers over recent weeks and can't quite get my head round whether it's since the traffic management issues.
On my FTTC connection the only speeedtester that consistently agrees with the BT Speedtester (profile 38368) is the ThinkBroadBand one of approx 33M  The Speedtest.net shows consistently 10M slower at 24 - 25M and the mybroadband one varies from 4M to 15M all done from a wired connection using the same PC with wireless turned off on the router.
Tests have been repeated all times of the day/week and the same pattern occurs.
Strangely the pingtest.net site shows I have a brilliant connection yet the speedest.net always has significantly worse ping results from the slected server.
Adam W may be tweaking my profile so I'll re-test to see if there's any change.
Pete
delem
Grafter

Hmmmmmmmmm
My current line speed figure in the member centre has now dropped from a previous figure of 35 MB to 20 MB. Has this got anything to do with the profile change recently applied to my account?