cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed killed by a cable rearrange

oliverheard
Dabbler

Connection speed killed by a cable rearrange

FTTC went in 20 days or so ago and since then everything had been amazing, constant 70 something down and 19 up.
Unfortunately I was away when the openreach engineer visited so everything was plugged into the master socket and left in a bit of a mess.  I left it till now to settle down and it looked like it had been solid, no drops or slow downs.
Sadly yesterday I had to disconnect things a few times to get things organised, and this has killed my connection speed.

Is this something to worry about or will it come back?
9 REPLIES 9
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Connection speed killed by a cable rearrange

Hi Oliver,
Firstly welcome to Plusnet and our community forums. We'll help get this sorted for you.
I've checked over your line and a potential Copper Joint Fault has been detected so I've raised this with our suppliers and an engineer will attend externally for this.
I've created ticket 86075134 on your account that has the fault details on and we'll update that as soon as we have more information.
oliverheard
Dabbler

(To keep the ticket and thread in sync)
Thanks for your fast response. I'm a little surprised to hear a potential copper joint fault.
I'm a little bit cautious when it comes to dsl having had lots of trouble with old wiring in a previous property.
I've unwired everything from the master socket so all of the internal wiring is disconnected. I'm not taking any chances with sky boxes etc. I know with the new style faceplate it shouldn't make a difference.
Is there any chance you could rerun the test just to make sure it was nothing on my end?
Regards,
Oliver
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It is still detecting a fault externally, we definitely need an engineer for this and the DLM will also need resetting.
oliverheard
Dabbler

damn, blast and err something else!  Cry
Thanks for redoing the test.
any idea when openreach will be having a look?
oliverheard
Dabbler

anyone around?  I know its a bit hopeful on a Friday afternoon but I thought i'd try.
Openreach engineer came out this morning and did a line reset.  His test gear synced successfully at 79 down and 26 up.  He did other tests that indicate no problem yet once the BT modem went back in and on it seems to be stuck at 37ish.
Any idea what my sync speed is and whats forcing it to stay low?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Any idea what my sync speed is and whats forcing it to stay low?

It may be coincidental but after an external exchange fault on Wednesday & a 2 hour total loss of internet, I've just discovered via a PM with Chris P that I've somehow mistakenly been re provisioned on 40/10. This will revert to 80/20 on Monday. It may be worth your sending him a PM.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

the engineers test will be from the master socket to the cab so that would indicate no issue with the line or cab, didn't the engineer test the modem if so why not ? it should have been something they was looked at,  if that is what is causing the problem then it needs replacing and that would be down to BTO to do, if the modem is fine then it could well be a issue with your service profiles they could well be set incorrectly

check what your Plusnet profile says in your members area under connection settings then high speed broadband https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection&?membermenu=connectionsettings
Then check what your BT IP profile is by running the Test then choosing further diagnostics when it completes http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
if they are set at 37ish then that is where the issue lies and they would need to be looked at.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi oliverheard,
If you could restart your router (not the modem) that should increase the speeds for you. I've updated the speed profile on our side.
oliverheard
Dabbler

Hi All,
Just to close this one out, after a router reboot it was back to full speed.  Grin

Thank you to everyone for the help & advice.